SDI Solo training in Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Urgh. Once again unless it changed cita addresses solo diving when boat diving. Nothing about shore.

Right but the last time we had this discussion, it was Caydiver I believe who said this - CITA doesn't specifically address it in their rules and regs, but this is because the document is poorly worded. CITA has made it clear at our water sports meetings that they don't want solo diving from shore or boat, so we adhere to their wishes.

Tony

CITA has made it clear at our water sports meetings that they don't want solo diving from shore or boat, so we adhere to their wishes.

Any idea why? Is there some unique hazard to Cayman diving (can hardly imagine what it would be), or is this an example of somebody (or bodies) getting enough power to impose their will?

Another question you are in a good position to have special insight into; CITA gets mentioned often, yet is obviously restrictive to some extent and I've never seen any claim membership is mandatory.

So, let's say a Cayman dive op. decided not to be a member. The op. could still conform to whatever best practice recommendations it deemed appropriate, without having to officially be a member. What are the advantages for an op. of being a member of CITA? What are the disadvantages of not being one?

Also wonder...let's say someone is a member of CITA and doesn't 'adhere to their wishes' on the matter. Is there some expected negative consequence to that?

The curious resistance to solo diving in the Caymans has been a topic in thread-after-thread, especially since getting to the bottom of the why's has been something of an ordeal.

Richard.

Right but the last time we had this discussion, it was Caydiver I believe who said this - CITA doesn't specifically address it in their rules and regs, but this is because the document is poorly worded. CITA has made it clear at our water sports meetings that they don't want solo diving from shore or boat, so we adhere to their wishes.

Tony
The Cayman rules are crazy, outdated, and way behind the times. What is the rationale for the rules? Why would Divetech teach solo and self reliant diver with no option to practice off Grand Cayman?

Teaching the solo diving class is not 'solo diving' as you're with your instructor

Interesting.

When I did my SDI Solo, the third and fourth dives were solo. The instructor monitored my actual depth against my planned depth from the dive log on my computer, actual gas consumption was compared against planned gas consumption based on residual tank pressure, navigation to specific points during the dive was monitored through GoPro video footage that I had to take, and ascent time and place was monitored by watching where and when my SMB surfaced.

I was under the impression that a solo dive was a requirement of the SDI course. Guess I was wrong.

How do you define a solo boat dive? Forgive me, I've not been to the Caymens yet - can you just separate yourself a bit from the group? Like in Cozumel, could you just drift dive at a different level than the DM?

I'd think you could practice solo diving while diving with a group somewhat, just like you can practice deco stops while not actually being in deco - it's not 100% real but it's somewhat of practice.

Tony, your first post was CITA rules and regulation don't allow solo. They don't. Your response now is while the rules and regs don't, at meetings CITA tells you they don't like it. So all are clear and for those who don't know all this stuff, most Dive ops in the Caymans by choice decide to prohibit solo diving which is their right and prerogative. CITA is a cayman tourist association, made up by among others dive ops. It is private, not government and their orally expressed preferences and rules and regulations do not have the force of law.

So why not just state in the future that you as a business have made the choice. Again, you have the right to do so and I have no issue with that. Its your business and livelihood. I am just tired of ops dodging this by trying to say its the law, its a regulation, CITA rules and regulations don't allow it, and now well that is what CITA says at meetings but have not even put it in their rules or regulations. Just come out and say its your policy.

Any idea why? Is there some unique hazard to Cayman diving (can hardly imagine what it would be), or is this an example of somebody (or bodies) getting enough power to impose their will?

Another question you are in a good position to have special insight into; CITA gets mentioned often, yet is obviously restrictive to some extent and I've never seen any claim membership is mandatory.

So, let's say a Cayman dive op. decided not to be a member. The op. could still conform to whatever best practice recommendations it deemed appropriate, without having to officially be a member. What are the advantages for an op. of being a member of CITA? What are the disadvantages of not being one?

Also wonder...let's say someone is a member of CITA and doesn't 'adhere to their wishes' on the matter. Is there some expected negative consequence to that?

The curious resistance to solo diving in the Caymans has been a topic in thread-after-thread, especially since getting to the bottom of the why's has been something of an ordeal.

Richard.

The Cayman rules are crazy, outdated, and way behind the times. What is the rationale for the rules? Why would Divetech teach solo and self reliant diver with no option to practice off Grand Cayman?

Tony, your first post was CITA rules and regulation don't allow solo. They don't. Your response now is while the rules and regs don't, at meetings CITA tells you they don't like it. So all are clear and for those who don't know all this stuff, most Dive ops in the Caymans by choice decide to prohibit solo diving which is their right and prerogative. CITA is a cayman tourist association, made up by among others dive ops. It is private, not government and their orally expressed preferences and rules and regulations do not have the force of law.

So why not just state in the future that you as a business have made the choice. Again, you have the right to do so and I have no issue with that. Its your business and livelihood. I am just tired of ops dodging this by trying to say its the law, its a regulation, CITA rules and regulations don't allow it, and now well that is what CITA says at meetings but have not even put it in their rules or regulations. Just come out and say its your policy.

I've decided that it is just a local superstition and there's no sense in trying to understand a rationale for it.

Why go to a destination for that course?

Do the online part and then get the 2 checkout dives with a good local instructor in an uninteresting body of water so you can focus on skill review and drills.

Back
Top Bottom