Flying to Utila with rEvo Mini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

here is a pic of the 4.5 kg jug I have been using.
20200206_114105.jpg

My thoughts on checking the 20kg keg of sorb are this:

- In a new, sealed jug, accompanied by an MSDS, it seems like I'd have the least trouble convincing them that that scary-looking stuff inside is really what I'm saying it is.

- If I split it into smaller containers, they won't be factory sealed or factory labeled and what response would I have to some TSA person who says "that looks like bomb material. How do I know it's really lime?"

- UDC has sorb. If my keg is lost or destroyed, we can just pay them for sorb. I'm only taking my own because I'm a cheap bastard and UDC charges more than double what sorb costs me. My cost of sorb plus $50 for an extra checked bag for the flight down is still WAY cheaper than paying UDC for their sorb. If my keg is lost, or we run out before we're done diving, we'll just pay for it there. Not THAT big a deal.

I got the idea of checking the jug from one of the FB CCR groups. Somebody on there did it. They had posted a pic of their keg of sorb on the carousel in Baggage Claim. I thought it was pretty genius.

Have any of you actually tried checking a new, factory-sealed keg? Had any problems doing so?

here is a pic of the 4.5 kg jug I have been using.View attachment 566556

That looks cool - if there was a way to put a factory-style seal on it after refilling it. Paying the same price as a 20kg, for that much, and then not being able to re-use the jug would not sit well with my wallet.

That looks cool - if there was a way to put a factory-style seal on it after refilling it. Paying the same price as a 20kg, for that much, and then not being able to re-use the jug would not sit well with my wallet.

Sofnolime 797 Grade 2 x 4,5kg Twinpack

i will keep looking for you, i know its out there the mini sub people buy them, the mini sub people on roatan should have a crap tonne of sorb for there 2000ft dives

shipping is a little high from germany, although boat from roatan about the same lol

Sofnolime 797 Grade 2 x 4,5kg Twinpack

i will keep looking for you, i know its out there the mini sub people buy them, the mini sub people on roatan should have a crap tonne of sorb for there 2000ft dives

shipping is a little high from germany, although boat from roatan about the same lol

That price is actually a fair bit cheaper (per kilo) than what a 20kg of Sofnolime costs here. Not sure what it would actually be without VAT and with shipping. The website won't let me add it to my cart. Maybe because it says its shipping time is 6 weeks?

That looks like a different size media, I don't think it is 797 8-12 mesh.

if you look at the spec sheet the mesh size is listed on label 1-2.5mm,very few people carry it though when i did my explorer training we got it in sealed bags with logo and diving art, easy packing in luggage( maybe that was a hollis product discontinued)

Back
Top Bottom