Flying to Utila with rEvo Mini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flying out of the USA sorb is probably fine with the MSDS as a backup. I would make sure its still got the original seal.
I would be sure to use up your sorb though, flying back is a mystery what is flagged for review or just randomly banned.
Sofnolime is sometimes sold in 4.5kg jugs and I bought a couple of them and I refill them from my big jug for a trip and have never had a problem with TSA. I bring the empty jugs back home and I always attach a copy of the MSDS to the jugs.
Been doing this for 3 years.

Flying out of the USA sorb is probably fine with the MSDS as a backup. I would make sure its still got the original seal.
I would be sure to use up your sorb though, flying back is a mystery what is flagged for review or just randomly banned.

Thank you. That was my plan. Sealed, new jug, with MSDS in hand.

I'm not planning to bring any back. There are 3 of us taking CCRs. 2 for 5 days of diving and 1 for 3 days. Possibly 4 dives per day. If there is any leftover, I will give it to my buddy who also dives a rEvo and is a tech instructor at UDC.

Sofnolime is sometimes sold in 4.5kg jugs and I bought a couple of them and I refill them from my big jug for a trip and have never had a problem with TSA. I bring the empty jugs back home and I always attach a copy of the MSDS to the jugs.
Been doing this for 3 years.

have you found any source for the mini jugs stateside? I’d love to pick up a few

I'm flying to Utila, taking my rEvo, in a couple of weeks. I have not flown a CCR anywhere before. I'm diving with Utila Dive Center, who will have cylinders to rent, O2 fills, and BO cylinders to rent.

My plan is to check a full, sealed jug of sorb as part of my luggage. There will be 3 of us with CCRs there, so it will go to good use. I'm flying Avianca, Dulles to San Salvador to Roatan, and then taking the ferry. As far as i can tell, the checked bag weight limit is 23kg and the sorb is 20. I will print out the MSDS and have it with me. Any thoughts on that part of the plan would be very welcome.

I am still trying to decide how best to actually transport my rEvo. It has a Don Six stand on it, which I guess I'll remove and not take with me. The major debate (in my head) is, do I get a hardsided suitcase and put the rEvo in there, packed in with clothes and stuff to protect it, then check it? Or do I take it as a carry-on, backpack-style?

I guess, either way, I would remove the BOV/loop hose assembly and use some plastic wrap and rubber bands to cover/seal the loop openings into the counter lungs. I have the rEvo travel tank fixations that will be clipped in place. Dust caps on the 1st stages. Scrubber baskets empty and in place inside. Predator controller and NERD2 monitor both removed and packed with the BOV in my "personal item" carry-on (? I guess? Or maybe the controller could stay attached and just tie-wrapped into a safe, protected spot, maybe where a cylinder would go?).

If I go backpack-style, do I need to rig up some kind of cover to cover it all up, so it just looks like a backpack with 2 webbing shoulder straps? Or could I lug it around with no cover on it? I will use velcro tie-wraps as needed to secure loose bits, like the first stages, MAV, and LPI.

Again, any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Please!

Me and a friend had our Meg canisters with empty scrubber taken out of our checked luggage and confiscated in Miami on the way home from Grand Cayman. Lucky it was on the way home and not the way there. Pretty sick feeling to open your bags and find it missing, I was fortunately able to track them down and get them back. I can get everything except my harness and wing into a carry on and a personal bag, I wont check anything like that again.

I'm flying to Utila, taking my rEvo, in a couple of weeks. I have not flown a CCR anywhere before. I'm diving with Utila Dive Center, who will have cylinders to rent, O2 fills, and BO cylinders to rent.

My plan is to check a full, sealed jug of sorb as part of my luggage. There will be 3 of us with CCRs there, so it will go to good use. I'm flying Avianca, Dulles to San Salvador to Roatan, and then taking the ferry. As far as i can tell, the checked bag weight limit is 23kg and the sorb is 20. I will print out the MSDS and have it with me. Any thoughts on that part of the plan would be very welcome.

I am still trying to decide how best to actually transport my rEvo. It has a Don Six stand on it, which I guess I'll remove and not take with me. The major debate (in my head) is, do I get a hardsided suitcase and put the rEvo in there, packed in with clothes and stuff to protect it, then check it? Or do I take it as a carry-on, backpack-style?

I guess, either way, I would remove the BOV/loop hose assembly and use some plastic wrap and rubber bands to cover/seal the loop openings into the counter lungs. I have the rEvo travel tank fixations that will be clipped in place. Dust caps on the 1st stages. Scrubber baskets empty and in place inside. Predator controller and NERD2 monitor both removed and packed with the BOV in my "personal item" carry-on (? I guess? Or maybe the controller could stay attached and just tie-wrapped into a safe, protected spot, maybe where a cylinder would go?).

If I go backpack-style, do I need to rig up some kind of cover to cover it all up, so it just looks like a backpack with 2 webbing shoulder straps? Or could I lug it around with no cover on it? I will use velcro tie-wraps as needed to secure loose bits, like the first stages, MAV, and LPI.

Again, any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Please!

Stuart...

I wouldn't transport one keg...exposed...with the intent that this absorbent is to be used by three divers...

I only did this once...I decanted material from the keg...placed the material in three properly labelled/O2 cleaned window washer fluid jugs...and packed the jugs in a standard suitcase...I identified at check-in what was in the suitcase and showed the check-in attendant the MSDS...I packed three three jugs in the suitcase...enough for six fills...

I suggest each of you do this...if the one keg is lost/damaged...for whatever reason...you're all screwed...if one of the three absorbent containing suitcases is lost...you will still have the other two suitcases...with as many small jugs as you were able to pack...

I had no problem at all doing this...as far as packing the RB...that's dependent on size...and how much you can break down your unit and spread the sub-components around...My loop/PPO2 monitoring/computer/regs/dosing were in my carry-on... and cylinders were waiting for me upon my destination arrival...

I still use these three small jugs...I take as much absorbent as I expect to use/easier to pack in the car/lighter to hand carry...and in the summer months...I'm not leaving a 50 pound keg of material in a hot car as on my last day of diving...I've already checked out of the hotel room and my car has been pre-packed for the trip home...

Best...have a great trip...

W.M...

110% agree with not counting on one thing for your whole trip.
Split your regs and other gear up between bags too. Bags and/or the stuff inside them have been lost or just disappear. If its that critical put it in carryon

have you found any source for the mini jugs stateside? I’d love to pick up a few
Tug, I found the smaller jugs (4.5kg) at divestock.com in Estonia a couple of years ago. I have been refilling them for air travel diving ever since. I recently looked at their website and was unable to find the jugs in their catalog.
If someone finds them, please post so others can get them. I would interested in a couple more as my containers won't last forever.

Cheers,
Mike

Tug, I found the smaller jugs (4.5kg) at divestock.com in Estonia a couple of years ago. I have been refilling them for air travel diving ever since. I recently looked at their website and was unable to find the jugs in their catalog.
If someone finds them, please post so others can get them. I would interested in a couple more as my containers won't last forever.

Cheers,
Mike

Sofnolime 4 Litre Canister - Molecular Products

I remember seeing the small jugs once. They were priced the same as a large one. Gave up. There are a few trips where small jugs would be a good choice. The long weekend deals. As for re-using them, you do know that you can buy new security lids and seal them up yourself at home? Just have to find the right lid for the jug.

Back
Top Bottom