DIR- Generic DUI Cortez for Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . .
An instructor not mentioning drawbacks of x piece of gear does not mean x piece of gear is superior to y piece of gear.

Right. But I would also interpret saying nothing as meaning the GUE instructor does not believe there is anything incompatible with GUE principles about it. As this forum was selected by the OP for the question of whether a certain drysuit is good for Fundies and beyond, I interpret the question as meaning the OP believes there could be GUE principles relevant to the question. I suppose you could say "buy durable gear" is a GUE principle, but I don't recall having seen it stated anywhere officially.

This is all I could find in my Fundies class materials (2011) about drysuits:

Dry Suit
- Trilaminate, flexible cut with telescoping torso
- Shoulder dump
- Leg pockets

I guess I interjected my question because I have seen near-paranoia about whether this piece of gear or that piece of gear is going to be GUE-compatible, and the answer is often that GUE has no position on it. They don't get down to the kind of minute details about the gear that some people seem to believe they do. Individual GUE instructors may have opinions, but often they seem reluctant to share them because they don't want to be perceived as denigrating non-Halcyon (or in this case Santi) gear. As you know, there is a crazy perception out there that GUE divers are required or pressured to dive Halcyon gear.

I mean, if the measure is “does GUE literature specifically say something or not”, then the bar is low and you’re headed toward perpetual mediocrity.

We all have choices to make.

I am going to need to replace my well-worn E.motion (pre-dating the E.Motion+) before long. So I read threads like this with interest. Carry on!

I would not bother with an Santi drysuit. The E. Motion material is eggregiously fragile and the robustness of the E. Lite material is overstated. Aftersales service is an aftertought.

O.

For what it’s worth: I just ordered a DUI FLX Extreme. I had basically this same question as OP in my head for the last couple of months. I have an Aqualung Fusion Bullet (Velcro connections not the newer zipper) it’s basically a dry suit for dummies, but not going to work for my plans to go the GUE route, plus the Velcro is wearing out.

I was looking at a DUI FLX Extreme, Forth Element Argonaut or Santi E. Lite Plus. I was also looking at the Deep Six for a hot second when it was on sale.

All are, or can be, custom fit.

Decided on the DUI mostly because of price and turn around time. Both the 4th E and Santi quoted me between 2-3 months. Santi on the high end of price Deep 6 on the far low end. DUI is the only company that will offer anything on a the trade in if my old suit (no leaks and still dives well)

I haven’t gotten my new suit yet but that’s a brief explanation of my thought process.

Decided on the DUI mostly because of price and turn around time. Both the 4th E and Santi quoted me between 2-3 months. Santi on the high end of price Deep 6 on the far low end. DUI is the only company that will offer anything on a the trade in if my old suit (no leaks and still dives well)

These are some great points, Kevin. As it stands— I am contemplating an FLX Extreme (used) which looks to be in good shape and a brand new Cortez.

Sure, but how are aspects like durability, fit and ease of repair in any way more desirable to GUE divers than divers under other training agencies? Lots of divers place weight on those characteristics. As for dump valve placement, some manufacturers offer customization of those kinds of things on any of their suits--even Santi would let you select dump valve placement--so I don't see that as being relevant to which suit model might be favored or disfavored by GUE instructors as opposed to other cave/tech instructors of similar experience. No doubt there are a few suits out there with configurations that really don't work well for GUE diving, but I think they are rare. People show up to Fundies class (and beyond) with lots of different suits, and I suspect very few of those suits draw a negative comment from the instructor. A well-made suit is a well-made suit irrespective of training agency, is it not?
I've never heard GUE or an instructor say certain suits aren't allowed or of anyone being turned away from training for having or not having a particular suit. What I have heard are suggestions as to what dump valve placement will work better, pocket size recommendations to allow enough items and ease of access, durability, cut of suit, typical fit, etc. Many suits fit these suggestions.

When I took Fundies i was in a Bare NexGen Pro. The fit was off, the pockets were small, and the dump valve was under me. I still managed a Tech pass. I replaced the suit soon after and it made my diving much more enjoyable.

DRIS has a variety of suits and is familiar with what works for many different styles of diving.

Damn, the FLX fell through because the guy wouldn't take Paypal... (Maybe a scam?) Looks like the Cortez it is unless any of you know someone selling a good suit in a medium?

Damn, the FLX fell through because the guy wouldn't take Paypal... (Maybe a scam?) Looks like the Cortez it is unless any of you know someone selling a good suit in a medium?
I've got a ScubaPro Evertec that is a POS, needs new seals, and will cause you to curse my name for eternity. PM me if interested. :cool::eek:

If you are 6’3 and 290 I’ll sell you my Fusion Bullet

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom