What are your favorite type of dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like night dives....and day dives in current with good visibility....and day dives with no current and good visibility....and night dives or day dives with water 80° or warmer with current or no current with good visibility and good marine life including sharks, turtles, eels and fishes with pretty coral and sponges.

Cheers - M²

Ooh, I wouldn't list it as a favorite type of dive or anything, but jellyfish are super pretty. I had a lot of fun filming one while on a night dive.

(I'm not 100% sure if it was a jellyfish or some gelatinous creature commonly mistaken as a jellyfish I just know it was quite annoying being stung and it looked like most of the other 'jellyfish' I had seen on that trip)

Some of my most favorite dives weren't in exotic far away places... They were in fact in the cold waters of NE... while solo. Not so much what I saw, but I'm just diving peacefully through the water. Just me and the bubbles. I'm dialed in with weights and trim. The water is clear (pretty rare for NE). I start to forget about anything other than my dive. I can take my time and pause to play with some of the life who seem interested in interacting with me. I can roam. It's quiet. Relaxing. No buddy to keep track of... I'm in my own world... Until... LOBSTER!!!! When I see claws that look like keepers, it's like saying SQUIRREL to a dog. It doesn't take much to excite me.

Other favorite dives were in Palau when I'm swallowed up with walls of fish (Blue Corner) and they ended up swimming ALL around me in a circle. Here I am, in the middle... Fish everywhere. It was like a magazine shoot. Then seeing sharks feeding just off the wall. Impressive!

Another most favorite dive was in Grand Cayman when the Silversides came in!!! Just swimming in and out of tunnels packed with Silversides. I actually sat just inside the entrance to a tunnel about 10 feet. Silversides were so dense I couldn't see out of the entrance that I am sitting in. Then the Jacks and Tarpon come in to feed... The Silversides just opening and closing their school as bigger fish swam in to feed. Holy Cow! I could have stayed all day. No kidding.

And the last one I'll mention is diving with the Tarpon at Cayman Brac, Tarpon Alley(?). They can be skittish and will swim away when you get too close. I managed to dive alone at the end of a dive and went into a large crevice where the current was flowing pretty good. Very slowly, I crept into the middle of a school of large Tarpon. I just hung out with these big beautiful gleaming shiny silver creatures, admiring their chrome-like Terminator-look. The closest ones were only about 3' from me. Loved every second of it.

North Carolina wreck diving. It's got it all clear water, fish, sharks, coral etc.

Attachments

• PICT0860.JPG
    PICT0860.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 51
  • SAND_TIGER_CLOSEUP1_ATLAS.JPG
    SAND_TIGER_CLOSEUP1_ATLAS.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 51
I can't figure out how to post videos, I've got some great dives where we were surrounded by dozens of sharks.
Just upload the video on your Youtube account, make sure it is "public", and then paste here the link to the video...

HI 12th man,

My favorite types of dives:

1. wall dives in the ocean or Lake Tahoe;
  2. slow diving a beautiful reef;
  3. diving unique or cool geological formations;
  4. diving on wrecks;
  5. solo diving SoCal's Channel Islands;
  6. diving Monterey on a warm, calm summer day with bright sunshine.
And when I don't find one of those cool dives to perform, I practice solo diver emergency ascents (I do enjoy it).

My list may be shorter if this thread were about the things I don't like about diving.

Nice thread,
:cheers:
m

I like the variety! I can have fun diving deep, and the same fun seeing a try scuba diver on her first ever dive and making this experience possible!

Any dive that gets me blowing bubbles is what I am after but to dissect it further I would have to say night dives. To date my favorite one of those has been turning lights out the last ten minutes of the dive and watching the bio-luminescence of the "string of pearls" in Roatan come alive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom