Which spool to attach transmitter to HP hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BF...

If your transmitter will accept a spool/HP hose fitting...some of the earlier ones did not...suggest using the spool with the center shoulder...locks the hose fitting/ferrule and transmitter together...keeping them both aligned...

Attached photo...spool on bottom...also suggest using Viton ''O'' rings...use oxygen compatible lube as well...

W.M...

View attachment 563914

So all three of these will fit/work? But the bottom one is preferred?

Anyone order a short hose from DGX and know which spool is included for the extra $1.50? Is the included spool intended for an SPG, not a transmitter that would benefit from a "center shoulder"?

So all three of these will fit/work? But the bottom one is preferred?

Anyone order a short hose from DGX and know which spool is included for the extra $1.50? Is the included spool intended for an SPG, not a transmitter that would benefit from a "center shoulder"?

D...

As far as DGX is concerned...a spool will come with an SPG...not with a HP hose...DGX only sells the spool with the shoulder...spool comes with Viton ''O'' rings included and pre-fitted...spool can be purchased separately...

I only use a shoulder style spool...and have never used one on a wireless transmitter...always had the transmitter attached directly to the HP port on the 1st stage reg...always the HP port facing down...to protect the transmitter from being bumped...

Attached photo is from DGX...small nipples on the DGX spool ends...very easy to change ''O'' rings...

W.M...

SPG.jpg

D...

As far as DGX is concerned...a spool will come with an SPG...not with a HP hose...DGX only sells the spool with the shoulder...spool comes with Viton ''O'' rings included and pre-fitted...spool can be purchased separately...

I only use a shoulder style spool...and have never used one on a wireless transmitter...always had the transmitter attached directly to the HP port on the 1st stage reg...always the HP port facing down...to protect the transmitter from being bumped...

Attached photo is from DGX...small nipples on the DGX spool ends...very easy to change ''O'' rings...

W.M...

View attachment 564128

Thanks for the quick response!

On the DGX order page for HP rubber hoses, there's an option to add a spool for $1.50; that's what I was referring to. I thought DGX didn't specify which type of spool included, but upon adding to the shopping cart just now, it shows that the spool is indeed the one with the shoulder (hose and spool are added to the cart as separate items).

I have a Deep6 regulator set. The HP mount points are perpendicular to the turret, so a transmitter directly mounted could very well look like a horizontal grip, at least, that's my concern.

The dgx spool works perfectly with shearwater transmitters.
I have 2 on my SM rig.
Two reasons for me:
1. I can get both my SM reg sets in a single bag to lie flat so safer to pack.
2. My cylinders are handled more than average as I tend to pass at least one up onto the boat. Also occasionally I splash with only one, the second is passed down to me, often it is lying on the floor next to my entry point.
I have found that most boat guys or gals are very careful with cylinders but I prefer not to take that risk.
Replacement spools are $1.50, take 30 secs to change. Then take the bad one home, replace the O rings for a about 10c each.
Yes I acknowledge that I am introducing 2 extra failure points, that is a risk I have considered and find acceptable.
Each to his own I say.
FB_IMG_1550415542123.jpg

But, I imagine that noone here would address these workers as monkeys to their face. I take exception to painting a group of people with such a derogatory term. Some may think of this as liberal bias. I think of it as respect for others. That's all from me on this.
Actually, I spent 30 years in the Air Force as a NORAD Air Weapons Controller, and it was relatively common to refer to pilots (especially fighter pilots) as "stick apes" and yes, I did use the term in front of them since I wouldn't say something behind someone's back that I wouldn't say to their face.

Was it racist? No
Was it talking smack? Maybe a little.
Was it a term of affection for another career field? Most definitely. Some of the people that I called Stick Apes were some of the very same people for whom I had immense respect. Without exception, I used the term to refer to naturally gifted "stick & rudder" pilots, in many cases, they were also natural leaders and people who I would trust with my life in a heartbeat.

FWIW, my career field was known to the pilots as "Scope Dopes", and to be called one by a pilot (especially in front of one's peers) was seen as a badge of honour.

why do you want to put it on a HP hose? Just screw it into the first stage.
I was getting some lost signals from the Perdix to the Swift.

From the manual
Frequently dropped signals: Range is limited to about 1m and may be affected by alignment of the transmitter or receiver. Try to reposition the transmitter closer to the receiver or change its orientation so that it ‘points’ (body aligned towards) the receiver. A small HP hose may be useful for this purpose (if a hose is used, ensure a ‘spool’ is used on the inner diameter of the hose to transmitter coupling).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom