separate octopus vs. bcd inflator/second stage combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can, I would recommend trying one out before you buy. I was excited when my shop introduced some to our rental/training fleet and took the opportunity to try out a BC with an Air 2 on it during a class I was teaching last year. It only took me one pool session to decide it wasn't for me and I went back to my personal gear with a bungeed alternate and 7-foot primary the next day.

The biggest problems I had were that my snorkel got in the way since they were both on the left side (I wouldn't normally dive with a snorkel if I wasn't teaching, though), and it was uncomfortable to breathe off of because it pulled my head to the side and limited my range of motion. I suppose a longer hose might help, but it might also just end up pushing instead of pulling, depending on how stiff it is.

If you try it and it works for you, though, go for it. Octos never seem to stay in their keepers and the fewer things you have dangling off of you, the better.

Being unorthodox, diving is in my opinion not nor should it ever be a one size fits all activity, there are a million options and you need to figure out what is best for you (and it's not just during the dive, but includes, travel, cost, space, maintenance, comfort and ease of mind, etc).

I love the weight/space/clutter less/streamlined approach and the integrated gives me all the benefits with no downsides but the truth is go dive it and see what works for you.

There is 1 golden rule when it comes to safety, understand what you are doing, why your doing it, how your doing it and the associated trade offs then make an informed decision, doing anything because you were tough it or somebody told you is not an informed decision.

I have done both standard octo and currently on an Air2. After having a newbie diver in my group have a panic 'i need your octopus' moment, I will be re-attaching my octopus this season.

why? because It happened so fast, I was unable to give him my primary and handed him my Air2. That put us WAY too close together. I had to really cling on to him to keep him close enough so neither his or my air source ripped away out of our mouths. Having the backup on a longer hose would have been MUCH better.

So I guess I will have 3 air sources to accommodate for 2 simultaneous emergencies :D .
You forgot to say the OOA diver also had your buoyancy controls. A situation I was in when my SPG came off when an additional reg was starting to gain favour.

As @KenGordon said, BSAC don’t consider an integrated octo unit an valid alternate source.

As @kmarks says,try it before committing. I'm not a fan, I tried one and just prefer necklaced alternate. I do see the appeal, and why some do really like them.... To each their own. When you try one, give it a thorough work out... Breathe it for a portion of your dive (including depth changes, buoyancy work), do a safety stop and final ascent with it and your buddy on your primary.... Then do your pro/con (include an assessment of which cons are really just neex to get used to it).
I have an Air2 (of unknown last service, but passes a function check nicely) that I'd send you to try in the pool (recommend rebuilding before using in true open water until it gets rebuilt). I'd just like the shipping covered. Pm me if you re interested.
My advise is always worth what you paid for it!
Respectfully
James

You forgot to say the OOA diver also had your buoyancy controls. A situation I was in when my SPG came off when an additional reg was starting to gain favour.

As @KenGordon said, BSAC don’t consider an integrated octo unit an valid alternate source.

^^^EXCELLENT POINT SIR!

I have written before:

Octo/inflator == run flat tire
cheap octo == mini spare tire
std primary reg == full spare tire

Now think about being in the middle of Death Valley on a Sunday night and having a flat tire. Which option do you want? now apply that to being on a dive.

I have written before:

Now think about being in the middle of Death Valley on a Sunday night and having a flat tire. Which option do you want? now apply that to being on a dive.
I agree with to a point you but would round it out, to be complete

doubles with isolation valve == puncture proof tires
fully independent systems == support truck following you

But the question I think you need to ask yourself are you driving trough the desert, death valley, to the office, around the block, or just moving the car in the driveway. If your dive is even remotely close to your limits or not a no stop dive then make the right choice (but to sound like a broken record, based on an informed decision and not because a bunch of opinionated people (that would be all of us, myself included) have an opinion).

I switch gear and config depending on the objective for the dive, and yes I will revert back to Hal Watts saying “plan the dive, dive the plan”, and when pushing equipment limits I verify that all gear must be rated at least 50ft below the floor. Awareness and judgement is the key to a safe dive not the gear, for simple no stop dives (ie 100% of the recreational dives you will do with 90+% of the dive ops).

dentlfly, please remember we are now borderline on philosophy, you still have to research and understand and then try and see if you like the config and the trade-offs.

I switched to the combo a while back. It works perfectly for me. I use the Zeagle Octo-Z, and my daughters use the same type of setup. It is a different type of hose, but there are enough of them around that they aren't really hard to come by.

I think the Octo-Z and the Attomic SSI are the best of the bunch due to the way they connect to the BC. The garden hose connector on the end of the inflator hose not only makes it easy to rinse the BC after dives, but also allows you to store the inflator/regulator with your regulator. At service time, I just take everything together to the shop. Nice and easy.

I haven't had to share during an emergency, but did with both my daughter's during their OW cert. Wasn't really an issue. I wouldn't want to breathe from it for the entire dive, but for air sharing it's not bad. I was doing primary donate anyway.

I have written before:

A bit over dramatic, but perhaps it goes with the name.

They all work. Over the span of my diving I have used them all, as well as no alternate, and I have found them all adequate.

Which option do you want, is the correct question, however the correct answer is up to the diver.

A bit over dramatic, but perhaps it goes with the name.

They all work. Over the span of my diving I have used them all, as well as no alternate, and I have found them all adequate.

Which option do you want, is the correct question, however the correct answer is up to the diver.

Not really over dramatic. Just a good analogy. While they all work, they do not work equally. People tend to neglect their secondary because they do not use. But when they need it, they really need it. Just like a spare tire. Which was the point.

Back
Top Bottom