New Kraken Setup Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EberWolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was in the last batch of lucky Kraken owners. I had a LDS owner/Tech Diver help me with the harness setup. I've only had the dry fit up done, pool testing will come shortly. I have a few questions.

I currently do not have access to a metal back plate that is compatible with the regulator. For now I'm using an Oxycheq soft travel plate.
Would crossing the shoulder straps be beneficial with a soft plate? I remember reading about this on the VDH forum but my computer has become incompatible with the forum there.
While I wait for either the VDH Plate to become available again, or my number in line for a Freedom Plate to come up I was thinking of trying my hand at a one off plate using this:

Backplate Template

My thought was to make it flat, no breaks like a conventional back plate. Then add a cutout at the top similar to the VDH. I'm not trying to rip off anyone's design, I just have the material and equipment available to me right now.

Any suggestions?

@EberWolf your oxycheq travel plate will work just fine. No need to purchase another plate IMO unless you are trying to get stainless steel for ballast. The travel plate is probably going to be the closest thing to the original tank straps that were around "back in the day". With the exception of the added ballast, I see no benefit in making a hard plate with the one you have.

The two criteria for the DH Reg is that the regulator is positioned at lung level (between the shoulder blades) and is close to or touching your back. It does not look like the Oxycheq plate will allow crossed straps because of the angle of the shoulder slots. Just sling your plate low. I don't see how a FP will be better than what you have now.

Oxycheq soft travel plate.
I don't know exactly which soft plate @herman uses, but in the picture below you can see perfect placement of his Kraken with a soft plate.
Herman with Kraken.jpg

That is a Zeagle Express Tech that has been modified. Additional waist guides were added to lower the pack and a crotch strap keeps it from riding up. I am using a Zeagle 15 lb wing on it. The wing was one a contact at Zeagle got me years ago, don't think they were ever offered to the public ( or maybe it was used on the Junior Ranger). Most modern BPs ride too high and have to be modified to get it to the desired location....fairly easy to do on an AL plate.

Back
Top Bottom