Yellowstone Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Diving in Yellowstone is on my scuba bucket list and I'm getting serious about it. The best spots would likely require a boat and guide, but I've been unable to find any scheduled trips.

I'm posting this message to say, if you know of an upcoming trip there (even years from now) please contact me.

Rich Synowiec just announced a trip he's scheduled out there. Was on his podcast. Looks like it's a ways out, but it sounds like it's hard to schedule those things. May be worth calling.
Trips

Reactions: g2
Yellowstone Lake is a great place to dive; I used to dive it each summer, but now I dive Glacier. In Yellowstone, I've been prevented from getting out of the water because the bison decided to show up. In Glacier and Waterton, I've had to wait to get in the water because a bear arrived.

The Spire Field, on the north end of the lake, can be reached from shore, although it is a 350 yard swim. I prefer to use doubles to reach the field or at a minimum a ST120. Using a boat is nicer, but there is no anchoring. I've found thermal vents in Sedge Bay. For depth you can dive from the old lake yellowstone hotel. You can boat dive West Thumb and look for vents there as well. Plan to dive the east side of the lake in the morning; in the afternoon the wind picks up, blowing from the west, which can make for rough waters.

I've seen many regulators let go in this lake. Be sure to use one that is adequate for cold water. I've experienced upper 30s during high summer below the thermocline; high 40s above it. Drysuits are not a must, but you'll be much better off with one. Don't under estimate the cold water! My friends and I dive with dry-gloves during the summer. August and September are the better times to dive for visibility. July isn't too bad; it depends on how long the runoff lasts. The bottom is primarily silt, so stay well off the bottom to prevent stirring it up. The lake is at 7700 feet in elevation, so be sure to make your ascent rates very slow and your safety stop should be around 11-10 feet.

Fire Hole rivers offers warm diving (77°) as well as swift water. In August and September the water isn't overly swift. In late May or early June it can be rather swift making it rather fun if you like that kind of stuff. There are two places to get in: one is up river from the chute, and the other is enter the shallows then swim towards the chute. The latter option is the easiest, and the former can be challenging if you are not used to swift water. Max depth in mid-summer when the water levels drop is 35 feet.

I've been up there with people who want to make three dives in a day. While it is possible, the vast majority are unable to because they get tired, or it takes forever to drive from one spot to the other. Traffic in the park is horrible (as bad as rush hour on I-635 in Dallas, where I used to live), which is one of the reasons I stopped going Yellowstone NP. The camp grounds are usually kept clean and the shower facilities are rather nice, but it is NOT quiet and many people make the spots a horrible place to get some rest. If you plan to stay in a hotel, Cody, WY is about two hours from the lake, and West Yellowstone, MT is about an hour to hour-and-a-half from the lake, and 45 minutes from Fire Hole River. Wake up and leave very early to avoid the worst traffic.

Plan on some excursions besides diving. There are plenty of waterfalls, geysers, wildlife, trails to walk along, and some good back country hikes to pursue.

Where do you dive in Glacier?

Lake McDonald is the most popular lake to dive. There is a little canyon you can dive through in McDonald Creek. St. Mary's Lake offers some good spots. Waterton Lake is another popular place to dive; after diving there are some good places to eat in town. Bowman and Two Medicine are fairly bland. If you are willing to lug gear you can dive other lakes, but that can be quite the chore.

A little follow-up... I'm still interested, and actually have some time in September of this year when I could make the trip.

The organized trip mentioned by @tbone1004 is attractive but not until 2022, and ... in April. There will still be snow drifts. That wouldn't scare me away but it makes drive/dive/camp a little more difficult.

Could also see doing a kind of western-states tour of diving for a week or two in September if someone was inclined-- Utah, Nevada, Wyoming. Glacier NP sounds good too.

g2:
September in Glacier NP sounds good too.

Wait until Thanksgiving to dive in Lake McDonald. The salmon spawn at Thanksgiving time, which makes for an interesting dive.

Glacier at the moment isn’t as easy to get around because the Going to the Sun Road is not open all the way through the park. Even though the number of visitors is down, finding a place to park is a pain.

I haven't done much diving over the last few years, but Yellowstone would definitely be a great place to dive! Hopefully you are able to get a dive put together.

Replying to keep an eye on this thread. Tbone's suggestion is enticing, but the dates of that trip aren't ideal. Since I live in Denver I'm always looking for notes on places to dive that are withing a couple of states away.

The dive shop in Idaho Falls takes people to Yellowstone Lake quite often. Contact them at Idaho Dive Pirates. They have a dive scheduled for July 24, 2021. See the event at: Guided dive of The Spires - Yellowstone Lake

Back
Top Bottom