Anyone teach Spanish on the island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep.

If you're on the island for a while (ie., in no rush), I'd suggest putting up a note on the bulletin board in El Cafe, seeking to exchange Spanish conversation for English.

That reminds me of some Craig's List parking lot deals.

I have run into people who just wanted to practice their English while I practiced my Spanish and neither of us had to be embarrassed. :wink: I tried a Learn Spanish book/CD but it seemed to be European Spanish. I would be cautious about meeting a man and saying "encantada", especially in Puerto Vallarta. :wink:

I have run into people who just wanted to practice their English while I practiced my Spanish and neither of us had to be embarrassed.
Me, too - taxi drivers. I chat with the driver in mixed English and Español every time I ride in one.

Having an hour or more to practice Spanish might be yet another reason to opt for a private van between CUN and PDC. One's conversational Spanish may improve with the aid of a beer in said van, too.

... how to pronounce the vowels which makes a big difference in how you sound. a, e, i, o, and u are pronounced "ah, a, e, o, ew (as in cool)". That, and silent j's, double l's sound like y, a little understanding of where to put accents in words and knowing that word gender exists will give anyone a great start."

Almost. "H" is silent (hice [EE-say], I did or I made), and "j" is pronounced like the English "h" (jalepeño).

The best way to learn any language is to USE it. Walk around the shops and try to learn about each and every item. "Que es esto? What is this. If they answer in English, just continue with "En Espanol, por favor?"

The beginning to understand any language begins with "yes and no". You get go a long ways with hust that.

... Walk around the shops and try to learn about each and every item. "Que es esto? What is this. If they answer in English, just continue with "En Espanol, por favor?" ...
And that, in a nutshell, is the single biggest obstacle I've had to improving my Spanish. I try to ask in Spanish, and the locals have been taught (and from a service perspective, rightly so) to speak in English.

Although @El Graduado did tell me once that pointing out to a waiter that their tip depends on them speaking to me in Spanish is legitimate! (La propina depende de que tu me hables en español.)

And that, in a nutshell, is the single biggest obstacle I've had to improving my Spanish. I try to ask in Spanish, and the locals have been taught (and from a service perspective, rightly so) to speak in English.

Although @El Graduado did tell me once that pointing out to a waiter that their tip depends on them speaking to me in Spanish is legitimate! (La propina depende de que tu me hables en español.)

It used to be that when I began speaking in Spanish they would usually reply in English and the rest of the conversation would continue so. More recently I have actually had many people who would begin speaking to me in Spanish and, much to my surprise, we would usually continue in Spanish. Somehow, which I can't explain, many can look at someone and tell if they speak Spanish or English. Lately my Spanish must have been getting better because a few people asked me if I live on the island. One even asked me if I was Mexican. I considered that to be the best compliment. Unfortunately, after being away from Mexico for a few months it takes me a couple of days to get back into Spanish mode. Here in Southern California the numbers of people who speak English and Spanish are probably around the same as on Cozumel, but it's kinda like the signs at Walmart--in Mexico they are Spanish first and English second. Here they are English first and Spanish second. I regularly coach my girlfriend on words and phrases but she's an educator and simply prefers the structured approach. One word she has learned and used almost daily is helado. :) Considering how much time we have been spending in Mexico I feel very ignorant that I'm still a long ways from being fluent and amazed at some of the words that I didn't know yet. We were on the colectivo and I realized I didn't know how to say "next corner." Now I do. :wink: One thing is certain: if I walk into a shop and ask the price on something in Spanish it's usually a lot cheaper than if I sounded like I just got off the cruise ship. :wink: The guy at the serape store (calle 4 or 6?) just skipped the whole haggling process and gave them to me for his best price. He probably just assumed I lived there.

And speaking of Hawaiian, once I realized that the vowels sounds are the same as in Spanish it became a lot easier for me to pronounce some of the Hawaiian words.

I tried a Learn Spanish book/CD but it seemed to be European Spanish. I would be cautious about meeting a man and saying "encantada", especially in Puerto Vallarta. :wink:
Hmmm, never ran across that one; I always learned, "mucho gusto" (now that I think about it, that was in PV). While not my favorite translator, SpanishDict used point out the possible faux paxs (Check out the translation for "encantada" on SpanishDict!), but they appear to be going for more of a "G" rating these days. For example, they used to identify that a jacket is chaqueta for most of the Spanish speaking world, but not in Mexico (well, probably not the jacket you intended). In Mexico it's la chamarra. Details here for the curious: SpanishDict

@WetInPortland , unless one spends a LOT of time in Mexico, one is never going to pick up all the double meanings Mexicans love so much. I think the Mexicans get it that we foreigners are likely to use Spanish that's not specifically Mexican. They get visitors from Spain who aren't savvy to the lingo, and I'm sure Spanish visitors get along just fine with their Iberian Spanish. I'm sure waiters are accustomed to hearing foreigners ordering "huevos." Am I right? Now, if you live there, and the people you deal with know that, you'd be wise to up your game.

@WetInPortland , unless one spends a LOT of time in Mexico, one is never going to pick up all the double meanings Mexicans love so much. I think the Mexicans get it that we foreigners are likely to use Spanish that's not specifically Mexican. They get visitors from Spain who aren't savvy to the lingo, and I'm sure Spanish visitors get along just fine with their Iberian Spanish. I'm sure waiters are accustomed to hearing foreigners ordering "huevos." Am I right? Now, if you live there, and the people you deal with know that, you'd be wise to up your game.
For me, it's a matter of blending in with the culture (and showing that I *want* to be part of the local culture). I'm sure you're right that Mexicans, especially in the hospitality industry, are used to tourists of all colors using phrases that locals would consider a little off. That said, I think the polite question in both Mexico and Spain is, "¿Hay huevos?" (Are there eggs?) versus "¿Tienes huevos?" (Do you have eggs?), especially if the server is male. Or "Tengo calor", and not "Estoy caliente" (especially if one is female). Surely Spain and the rest of the Spanish speaking world must have their own, regional, double entendres, and I'll cause a chuckle if I ever visit with my pidgeon Mexican Spanish..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom