18L Steel Tank - advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a lover of ECS tanks because of the way they are made. Instead of using a ram on a billet of steel and swaging the tank to shape as almost everybody else does, ECS starts with steel tubing and then rolls the bottom closed, finally welding it shut. It works, but if you hang a light inside the tank, the bottom where it was welded, doesn't look pretty.
Don't ask me why almost everybody else forms a tank using a differet process and what they know that ECS doesn't know, or what ECS knows that the rest of the world doesn't know. I just know I don't like the looks of the welded spot on the inside of the tank. On the 3L tanks you won't notice it, on the 8" diameter tanks I see it.

ECS used to be named Apolda Stahl shortly after the reunification of Germany, before that it was called Volks-Eigene-Betrieb Apolda Stahl (translates to "Peoples owned Company Apolda Steel" in other words an East German Company owned by the State).

Michael

I'm not a lover of ECS tanks because of the way they are made. Instead of using a ram on a billet of steel and swaging the tank to shape as almost everybody else does, ECS starts with steel tubing and then rolls the bottom closed, finally welding it shut. It works, but if you hang a light inside the tank, the bottom where it was welded, doesn't look pretty.
Don't ask me why almost everybody else forms a tank using a differet process and what they know that ECS doesn't know, or what ECS knows that the rest of the world doesn't know. I just know I don't like the looks of the welded spot on the inside of the tank. On the 3L tanks you won't notice it, on the 8" diameter tanks I see it.

ECS used to be named Apolda Stahl shortly after the reunification of Germany, before that it was called Volks-Eigene-Betrieb Apolda Stahl (translates to "Peoples owned Company Apolda Steel" in other words an East German Company owned by the State).

Michael
Thank you Michael,, i understand now, why the bottom of my ECS 15 liters tank, look strange inside, i though it was a rust problem...

manufacturer : Home - Eurocylinders , I have found no data , maybe with personal contact (Faber have same politics ) , they are sold also under trademark BtS and even OMS (some are black)

for rough data https://www.dirzone.com/catalog.php?lang=en

in the past there were some information about buoyancy but now is gone most data i have found there :(and best price )
BtS Doppelgeräte DIR Style

Tanks & Cylinder Sets

that calculator have ECS 8,5 and 12 / 230 Scuba tank size and buoyancy calculator and is correct

have try first and bought second tanks

i have this file:

Attachments

• Tauchen-fr.pdf
    751.3 KB · Views: 127
that calculator have ECS 8,5 and 12 / 230 Scuba tank size and buoyancy calculator and is correct
If you know the interior volume of the tank and its mass, its buoyancy is easy to calculate manually.
Outer volume = inner volume + mass/(density of steel)
Buoyancy = outer volume - mass - (mass of tank valve).

Make sure that volume is liters, mass is kilos and density is kilos per liter, and Robert is your mother's brother

these things I calculate before 5-6 years ago ;-) , i just remember that calculator because it gives right results with mine ( and also heavy bottom compensates valves + tek3's in neutral balance)

D7x300 is?
D8.5x232 is?
18x232 is?

Also, D4, D6, D12. I've seen them all and dived with buddies carrying them all. Some carry more gas than a single 18, others... don't.
I was referring to D12s as stated in post.

Neverthless, a drysuit + twins + doubles wing + second first stage should be more than EUR 1.800. Hard to justify for local dives at this point (10-15 local dives a year).

Easy. Buy second hand. Plenty of gear on Facebook..

I was referring to D12s as stated in post.
Ah. It wasn't obvious to me, since you, in the paragraph I quoted, just referred to "doubles", not specifically to a D12 set.

Perhaps I'm a mite dense.

Back
Top Bottom