How do you wash/rinse your dive gear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The elf is trading love, affection, and a small rinse station now for love, affection, and tuition later.

In Arizona? Do you shake out the scorpions from your boots in the morning? I hate to think if they crawled up your suit leg!
They can’t swim so they drown as soon as you hit the water

I've always been in an apartment building since owning my gear. I have a shower stall but no tub which significantly limits my space to clean and dry. I use the same bin to carry gear to/from sites to rinse. I place the regs, mask, and lights in the kitchen sink first while allowing the bin to fill in the shower. I then dunk/soak items a few at a time in the bin/shower. With limited space, this usually takes longer (around 30min). I allow the items to initially drip the bulk of the water in the shower and then hang dry. I can use the balcony in the summer, but I find it is too damp here (PNW) in the winter so I will hang inside. I use an industrial suction cup and hanger to hang the drysuit against the window.

In the summer, some of the sites have showers and shops have rinse buckets which I will make use of to expedite the cleaning and limit the amount of sand I bring home.

Specific to the regs, I have atomic so I either only soak the second stage with the first stage elevated, or I lay a tank on the kitchen counter and soak them pressurized.

IMG_20191130_075847.jpg
In Arizona? Do you shake out the scorpions from your boots in the morning? I hate to think if they crawled up your suit leg!
I don't really live in the Arizona you have in your mind....

In summer I wash everything outside with a hose. In winter or away from home (hotel, condo, etc.), the wetsuit & BCD go in the shower (again, hose) -- if away from home of course all stuff goes in the shower..
I don't soak stuff in a bin (tub, etc.). But if I did I would still rinse it off after since the salt from the stuff goes into the water it's soaking in.
I haven't had problems so far and some of my stuff is 10-15 years old.
BCD insides-- First dump as much salt water out as you can. Next put in a little baby shampoo and lots of fresh water. Empty at least twice. Next day or two empty it another two times (placing it upside down over night so water runs toward the inflator)

Just reference my avatar.

Yup, out on the patio with a garden hose for the BCD's (and all their pocket contents - SMBD and finger spool, slate and pencil, and cutting tools) and fins.

Regs, lights, camera and strobe, and masks in the kitchen sink.

Wetsuits and booties go in the washer to be hung on a tree limb.

Puppy's role is to determine when the BCD's are dry on the outside (female, so don't have to worry).

You are so lucky to have your own little Scuba Elf!

The elf is trading love, affection, and a small rinse station now for love, affection, and tuition later.
At 12 it changes I think cause her brother (my new dive buddy) is not as eager. That is the tradeoff I guess, teens need much more "encouragement" to clean their gear properly. At least I've got him into the habbit of taking a shower with his regulator when we return home, that way I hope it'll set in to at least clean the life critical stuff properly.

Most of my diving is in salt water, so I want to get that out.
Regs are environmentally sealed, so that helps.

I’ve got a big giant bucket that I use. I fill it with water and a bit of SaltAway, then start loading it up. DC, wetsuit, gloves, boots, weights, mask, lights, all go in the bucket to soak. I hook my regs back up to a tank, and turn on the gas. Second stages soak in the bucket as well. Pretty much everything but tanks, 1st stage, and BC goes in the bucket. BC sometimes does if there is room.

Then I finish cleaning the boat, unloading fish, etc. I’ll also give the BC a thorough rinsing, and hook the hose up to the inflator corrugated and run that for a few minutes cycling each of the dumps. I add some BC conditioner every once in a while. Spray down tanks and 1st stage, then remove everything from the bucket, rinse thoroughly and hang out to air dry. In the garage if sunny, out back if it’s getting dark.

Back
Top Bottom