Trip timing advice Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aviator8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
If you were going to go to Bonaire over the summer months (late May-Aug 1), is there a particular time you would choose. Is there a better time for visibility, currents, certain events or creatures you will see?

I've been there each month, September through January, and last March. March was awful with constant 20+mph wind, difficult to dangerous entry/exits, and relatively poor visibility. I was told by people at the dive op that this was normal for that time of year and October is the least windy, has the calmest seas, and has the best visibility.

My trips in September through January were good to great. I would send your questions to Dive Friends Bonaire and see what they have to say.

One thing you might find difficult at the time of year you're planning to go is getting there and back. Much of air traffic is limited to the high season.

If recall correctly, or best trips were in the September/October timeframe. Last couple Bonaire and Curacao were in December and it was definitely wetter.

Is you want to do the ostracod dive, you need to be there the days after fullmoon.

Heared it's the best dive, sadly I was there at the wrong time

I've been there in mid-May. Wind was still blowing and no rain but viz was quite good on the south side and west end. It got milkier the further east we dove but still acceptable. Entries weren't much of an issue. Dive beaches were mostly deserted at that time.

One thing you might find difficult at the time of year you're planning to go is getting there and back.
Working around kids school dates. There is 1 week in Sept we could go but flights don't line up on that week well and are more expensive. All through the summer I see flights. Cheaper than they usually are but by no means a deal. I am going to be watching prices but if there are times in this range I should shoot for I will watch them closer.

I've been in March, May, June and July....only difference I noticed was topside crowds....with summer being less crowded. Diving was the same, weather was the same...only slightly less hot in March.

Been a while since we were there in Sept, but I seem to recall it being very hot and I think some restaurants close for vacation? We have been going in May and other than the wind occasionally ripping it has been fine.

We have done 1 January, 2 April and 1 July and we had no weather or dive condition issues on any of the trips. Dec-Jan is the rainy season but all this really means for this arid climate island is that there short burst showers here or there and nothing really that should interfere with diving. We noticed it was much more comfortable in Jan for truck shore diving than in July. Air not as hot so more comfortable loading up gear and suiting up than April and July. Much less likely to get chilled though in April and July from multiple diving as the air and water warmer. We hardly used the pool in Jan but were in it all the time between dives in April and July. Enjoy your trip.

Back
Top Bottom