Looking for ideas March 7-14 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a week to travel in March! (7-14)

Trying to stay in the Caribbean, as I need to keep it Saturday to Saturday, I don't have time for extended travel to/from the destination.

Would also like to maximize dives (4-5/day if possible) as I will be traveling solo.

I previously dove the Turks & Caicos Aggressor, and also recently did a week at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort and loved them both.

Any suggestions welcome, I know the Caribbean Explorer has a good deal going, and there is space on the Cayman Aggressor.

Would I be able to get 4-5 dives a day in Cozumel and would the weather be good that time of year?

Budget around $3k

Thanks!

The Aqua Cat has space available on March 7-14, 2020, departing Nassau, Bahamas to the Exuma Cays. We offer up to 26 dives/week plus daily shore excursions and eco-adventures. At this time there is quad cabin availability priced at $2295/person and double occupancy at $2895/person plus $225 in fees.

Visit our website for additional info or feel free to email me at kevin@allstarliveaboards.com.

Have you considered Coco View on Roatan?
Fits everything that you asked for - budget - # of Dives - one week.
It's a liveaboard without the living on a boat for a week part.

Are the prices for Cocoview based on double occupancy with a single supplement? I thought that they are which is why I mentioned Anthony's Cay because they have that 2 for 1 deal which is the same as no single supplement. @Redfoot just remember to add in the 19% tax for just about any Roatan trips.

The Cobalt Coast Grand Cayman is also based on double occupancy and I don't know what they do about single supplements, but the 13% tax is already included in the price.

@Redfoot

There are several folks on SB who think highly of the Aqua Cat and have been on it multiple times. You might be able to find them by searching on Aqua Cat

Good suggestion, I know that @Hoag has spoken highly of the AquaCat in the past and it should be pretty easy to get to Nassau.

@Redfoot, thanks for considering Caribbean Explorer II for your holiday!

We have 4 spaces left on Caribbean Explorer II for March 7-10th, 2020. Booking a space before Feb 14th allows you to grab our Year of Savings early booking offer of a $600 USD discount. This makes the trip $1595 USD. On Caribbean Explorer II's itinerary, you'll have the opportunity to visit three volcanic Caribbean islands each with a large diversity of dive sites. As mentioned by previous posters, the vessel is a bit older, however the pricing reflects this and the variety of sites and optional land tours more than makes up for it. It's a comfortable vessel, has excellent food, and an energetic and helpful crew. Did you know it's also the only liveaboard that is Green Fins certified? (Green Fins is the only internationally recognized environmental standards for dive and snorkel operators, established through a partnership between United Nations (UN) Environment and The Reef-World Foundation).

Here's a great video on Caribbean Explorer II, please do let us know if you have any questions. Email us here: info@explorerventures.com. Hope this helps!

@Redfoot, thanks for considering Caribbean Explorer II for your holiday!

We have 4 spaces left on Caribbean Explorer II for March 7-10th, 2020. Booking a space before Feb 14th allows you to grab our Year of Savings early booking offer of a $600 USD discount. This makes the trip $1595 USD. On Caribbean Explorer II's itinerary, you'll have the opportunity to visit three volcanic Caribbean islands each with a large diversity of dive sites. As mentioned by previous posters, the vessel is a bit older, however the pricing reflects this and the variety of sites and optional land tours more than makes up for it. It's a comfortable vessel, has excellent food, and an energetic and helpful crew. Did you know it's also the only liveaboard that is Green Fins certified? (Green Fins is the only internationally recognized environmental standards for dive and snorkel operators, established through a partnership between United Nations (UN) Environment and The Reef-World Foundation).

Here's a great video on Caribbean Explorer II, please do let us know if you have any questions. Email us here: info@explorerventures.com. Hope this helps!

Saba is one of the most unusual islands that we have visited, and right now I am looking at a framed photo that I took of Diamond Rock that is hanging in my study!

Saba is one of the most unusual islands that we have visited, and right now I am looking at a framed photo that I took of Diamond Rock that is hanging in my study!

Saba is quite dramatic above and below! The Diamond Rock pinnacle is a favorite of ours also, especially when it's mid-day, and the light shines 'just right' on its vibrant walls. That will be a great office view! :)

I would not say its diamonds that is shining off that rock :)

Yeah, the Frigate Birds have made themselves very much at home on Diamond Rock!

Good suggestion, I know that @Hoag has spoken highly of the AquaCat in the past and it should be pretty easy to get to Nassau.
Oh sure, drag me into this. :)

OK here are my thoughts on the Aquacat:
I'm not sure about connections from DTW, but both Air Canada & WestJest fly non-stop from Toronto to Nassau if you are willing to do the drive up the 401. If you are active duty military or a veteran, then bring your appropriate ID and they both have up to 3 bags of checked luggage for free. (Last time I looked, this offer was extended to the US Military as well, but I can not promise that.) You will typically get into Nassau around noon (ish) and if you fly on the Saturday, they can meet you at the airport with a driver to take you to the boat. Once there, you can drop your bags off on the boat and the rest of the afternoon is yours. (There is a small bar/restaurant called the Green Parrot right beside the Aquacat that I usually hang out at, but Atlantis is only about a 10 minute walk.)

The diving is pretty good for the Bahamas. Over the last several years, hurricanes, lionfish and other factors have taken their toll on the reefs, but the reefs appeared to be rebounding the last time I was there. There are a few dive sites such as Barracuda Shoals, the Austin Smith Wreck and Split Coral Head are pretty "sharky".

The Aquacat is one of the largest LOBs that I have seen. The cabins are (relatively) spacious and the main salon is huge.

The food is plentiful and although it is served "buffet style" there is always a choice.

As to if I would recommend it or not, Let me just say that I have been on her 5 times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom