Trip Report Trip Report: Bonaire- January 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to see new food truck info.! Historically the availability of 'facilities' such as concessions was held to be an advantage of some Curacao sites over Bonaire; nice to see this, and the Cactus Blue food truck, available.

6 Couples - were all 12 people divers? Just wondered what topside activities people took an interest in on Bonaire.

Richard.
11 of the 12 were divers. The non-diver was content to snorkel and sleep and relax. No topside expectations. It was pretty much all about diving and food for the group as a whole. I also didn't mention it in my original post, but in week 1 with our dive group, we did schedule and have 2 amazing catered dinners at our villa.

CHEFS OMG! We skipped the wine pairing as it would be lost on us. The dishes were excellent and we had a great time with the Dutch/Canadian/lived in America couple next to us. The mix was about 50/50 Dutch and American.

Thanks for the report Trailboss! Enjoyed the video. We're heading back there in early April for another 24 days. Good to hear the algae is subsiding. Hopefully the water warms up a little, or my gf will think we're in the wrong ocean, lol!

Traveling down in 18 days! This will be my first time. Had a question about the truck rental. Did you guys have any issues with theft? I've read its just best to leave the windows down and the truck unlocked. Is this the case, or can you keep the windows up, locked, with nothing of value in sight? How about tanks? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Windows up and doors locked is an invitation to theft regardless of whether valuables are in sight. Strongly suggest you adhere to the established risk mitigating practice. People generally don’t consider tanks at risk for theft.

Traveling down in 18 days! This will be my first time. Had a question about the truck rental. Did you guys have any issues with theft? I've read its just best to leave the windows down and the truck unlocked. Is this the case, or can you keep the windows up, locked, with nothing of value in sight? How about tanks? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
What @drrich2 said is accurate. You definitely want to keep windows down and doors unlocked. If you have them up and locked, the assumption is that you have something of value in there and they will break a window to get inside and look. No one will steal the tanks. They have no way to sell them-- so, they are safe. I would encourage you to buy one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B664BP...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I have had great success with this waterproof pouch. I put my car key, cash and credit card in it and wear it around my neck and tuck it under my wetsuit while diving and out and about for the day.

Also, I have never had my towel stolen, so don't be concerned about bringing one along.

Question about Chefs - assume that is the Chef table dinner? I saw it mentioned on Info Bonaire and sent in a request for reservation but have not heard back. Can you give me any info on your dinner? I know it varies based on day, but trying to get a flavor. It sounded fab and we are diving-foodie-wine-drinkers. We will be able to walk across the street after :)

Question about Chefs - assume that is the Chef table dinner? I saw it mentioned on Info Bonaire and sent in a request for reservation but have not heard back. Can you give me any info on your dinner? I know it varies based on day, but trying to get a flavor. It sounded fab and we are diving-foodie-wine-drinkers. We will be able to walk across the street after :)
Last night we had dinner rolls with roasted garlic butter, Dutch bitter balls, carpacio, soup, steak, and desert. We didn't do the wine as we are not really into wine. A couple of the wines were actually Dutch. You also get your choice of still or sparking water and can order beer or soda.

You had me at rolls n butter and carpaccio :bounce:. Thanks Darook, will be reaching out to make sure we have seats at the Chefs table.

Leave windows down like everyone said and everything of value goes with you. Leave cell, wallet, rings, watches in room. Take your DL and some $ and put them in you BC in some sort of wet or dry container. Assume your dry box will flood because sand gets in the gasket unless you extra, extra careful. All places accept wet $.

Assume anything you leave, except tanks will be gone when you get back, and be happy when it is still there. Been going to Bonaire for 25 years and only lost an old set of flip flops once but seen ALOT of broken windows. North dive sites seem to get hit more especially Andrea 1 and 2.

We take a small collapsible cooler with a few cans of pop and frozen water bottles for ice. We leave 2 liter and gal jugs of fresh water in the bed in the sun for nice fresh water rinse between dive (gets hot) and to rinse feet before we get in truck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom