Keeping spool (with SMB attached) from unwinding underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

where did you get the yellow bungee your using with the black tip attached to your swivel? I’d like to copy this set up
That's the spool leader, as supplied (different more hard wearing cord loop)

The bungee is in pink - what I had lying about rather than deliberate colour choice

That's the spool leader, as supplied (different more hard wearing cord loop)

The bungee is in pink - what I had lying about rather than deliberate colour choice
Did that specific leader set up come with the spool?

Did that specific leader set up come with the spool?
Spool, line & leader with swivel all part of Apex spool set

Rest is mine adapted for my needs

Personally think the swivel is over rated I still have line twists - but then I’ve shot an dumb on that reel over 500 times

try doing that with a mask blackout/lost mask/zero vis

which is one of the solo diver tasks they make you practice over and over
I can't imagine why you would be stowing a spool in such a situation. There is certainly no problem in deploying such a spool in the situation you describe.

I can't imagine why you would be stowing a spool in such a situation. There is certainly no problem in deploying such a spool in the situation you describe.

I was more referring to trying to keep track of the loose end of the cord as it floats around, and having a loose bolt snap in your hand as you're dealing with a floating smb

or maybe I was misunderstanding how it was all attached to the SMB, but it still looks too complex to be doing in a stressed situation underwater

mine's all held in place as a single unit with a boltsnap permanently attached to the smb which is then clipped to my bcd and the furled smb is bungied to the reel. Then you just unclip the unit from your bcd, slip the bungie off, inflate, and send it up, which you can do it blindfolded with gloves and frostbitten fingers

but whatever works for you personally is the best strategy

The boltsnap is clipped off while you attach the SMB and the end of the cord is not floating around loose. I learned the technique from an exploration diver with many thousands of dives extending from both polar regions to most places in between so I will keep using it while I continue to collect other people's spools from the bottom.

The boltsnap is clipped off while you attach the SMB and the end of the cord is not floating around loose. I learned the technique from an exploration diver with many thousands of dives extending from both polar regions to most places in between so I will keep using it while I continue to collect other people's spools from the bottom.

as I said, whatever works for you is the best strategy

as I said, whatever works for you is the best strategy
I use the same method to attach a spool to the DSMB, you can use the double ender as a guide: it passes through the metal loop of my DSMB.

The easiest way, for me, is literally to let the double ender drop through the DSMB metal ring. Works the same with or without thick gloves

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom