Sudan in March or May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divenski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm looking at possible LOB trip in Sudan this spring, but am a bit nervous about the travel part. I've dived all over the world and gone by myself (the case this time)... has anyone had experience in Sudan recently? I would do maybe a North itinerary and for sure a Deep South. Prices are better in May but apparently it's really hot outside. Anyway, advice on travel, experiences and diving there would be most welcome.

The diving is really nice and you will be alone most of the times, as at present only 3 reputable boats operate there. If you chose Royal Evolution then you best fly into Marsa Alam, as they start from Egypt. For the other 2 your least stressfull way leads you through Dubai to Port Sudan. I did Sudan on RE and it was a great experience - with the only drawback that I know have difficulties to travel to the US.

Hello,
Wife and I have been to egypt 4 times in last 6 years and have done 5 LOB;s.
All of our trips have been 3 week trips. The last 2 visits have been on 2 LOBS for each trip.
On the last trip we did a 2 week LOB on Royal Evolution into north Sudan and had a great time on the boat and diving was wonderful.
We have booked another trip late in the spring to do South Sudan on Royal. We can't wait.
Travel;
The first 3 trips we flew Lufthanza through Frankfurt , then Cairo then Hurghada then taxied down to Marsa Alam / Port Gahlib .
We had no issues other than 2 stops and layover but on this last trip we flew Turkish air to Istanbul then to Hurghada and taxied again south.
Our next trip is on Turkish air with the same times, layover in Istanbul is abit long but not long enough to tour the city so took a long nap!
On each of our trips we arrived Hurghada around 3 am went to a hotel, slept till about 11 am , had lunch and then at noon taxied down south to the boat , about 3 hr ride. The prices for all of these items were reasonable to low compared to all other LOB diving we have down, which has been extensive..
Have fun, book soon ...
PS-
The last trip was March into April , water was cold in Egypt, 7 mill,
Sudan I wore 5 mill with vest and hood , it was ok!
This year is May into June so warmer!!!!!

Hello,
Wife and I have been to egypt 4 times in last 6 years and have done 5 LOB;s.
All of our trips have been 3 week trips. The last 2 visits have been on 2 LOBS for each trip.
On the last trip we did a 2 week LOB on Royal Evolution into north Sudan and had a great time on the boat and diving was wonderful.
We have booked another trip late in the spring to do South Sudan on Royal. We can't wait.
Travel;
The first 3 trips we flew Lufthanza through Frankfurt , then Cairo then Hurghada then taxied down to Marsa Alam / Port Gahlib .
We had no issues other than 2 stops and layover but on this last trip we flew Turkish air to Istanbul then to Hurghada and taxied again south.
Our next trip is on Turkish air with the same times, layover in Istanbul is abit long but not long enough to tour the city so took a long nap!
On each of our trips we arrived Hurghada around 3 am went to a hotel, slept till about 11 am , had lunch and then at noon taxied down south to the boat , about 3 hr ride. The prices for all of these items were reasonable to low compared to all other LOB diving we have down, which has been extensive..
Have fun, book soon ...
PS-
The last trip was March into April , water was cold in Egypt, 7 mill,
Sudan I wore 5 mill with vest and hood , it was ok!
This year is May into June so warmer!!!!!
Any hammers?

Have fun, book soon ...

Which hotel did you check-in at 3am? I booked Marriott Beach Resort and turned out that they only accept check-in from noon to 5pm, so I lost a night stay there :( and had to book another hotel, Lily Apartments, that let me check-in that early morning.

Would it be better to go straight from Hurghada to Marsa Alam and sleep for 3 hours in the taxi, I wonder?

Which hotel did you check-in at 3am? I booked Marriott Beach Resort and turned out that they only accept check-in from noon to 5pm, so I lost a night stay there :( and had to book another hotel, Lily Apartments, that let me check-in that early morning.

Would it be better to go straight from Hurghada to Marsa Alam and sleep for 3 hours in the taxi, I wonder?

With how they drive you'd be lucky to be able to fall asleep, I was busy praying :rofl3:

March-May is in general the best period for the Sudanese Red Sea. I’ve been on 14 days out of Port Sudan several times (12 diving days in practise) in that period and also sailed from Port Ghalib. Once on a 21-day where we logged 58 dives. Royal Evolution is the best choice today. 14 days is the sane option. Do not go on consecutive 7 day itinerarys that has to return to Port Sudan in the middle if your goal is to visit the south suakins. Re March or May, it depens as season to season vary a little. Sort of a toss up. Both good.

Hotel was Marriot Beach Resort every trip, we had reservations through Hotels .com, no problems checking in.
I would not drive or ride that road in the dark after traveling so far, I would not be on that road late night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom