Oxygen Regulator Basics - Video by Jill Heinerth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D22735A0-9AFB-41DD-BA98-C5A38870EFC7.jpeg

good enough for you?

yikes. was there an official investigation into the cause ? diver not having clean regs ? shop not cleaning tank ? not cleaning valve ? did this happen when mixing ? or when the diver pressurized the regs ? any info appreciated.

btw.....for anyone looking into this.....i found this. some pretty good explanations of why these types of regulations are in place.
NOAA Diving Manual

Excellent info in the NOAA Diving manual. The info in Jill's video is just plain wrong. O2, especially under pressure, is an oxidizer and not a combustible itself. She should know this with her level of training.

I do recall once having my O2 regulator make a "pop" when I opened the valve. I forget where I was but if I recall it was hot and the reg was probably sitting in the hot sun for awhile. My guess is a bit of dirt, sand, debris maybe in the 2nd stage and when I blasted it with O2 it vaporized? Can't be too careful.

For anyone interested, there is a later version of the NOAA Diving Safety & Standards Manual, published in April 2017.

It can be found at Regulations | Office of Marine and Aviation Operations along with other interesting references such as NOAA’s Annual Watermanship Assessment.

found this today. interesting info.
About Oxygen Disclaimers | Dive Gear Express®

i still have not been able to locate any documentation on fires / explosions related to o2 use in scuba diving. not saying it doesn't happen because it obviously does. my thought is perhaps there are only rare cases in which a legal agency of some type has conducted a proper investigation and reported those findings publicly ??

my brief research seems to indicate most incidents seem to occur when the reg is pressurized. ie: opening the valve to quickly.

i am not certified to use 100% and i do not practice the type of diving that would require this. but i do find this type of discussion quite interesting.

In San Diego with a Atomic regulator about 17 years ago, 78% O2 and Titanium. Not Atomic fault but definitely Diver fault.

as i understand it, using titanium regs with high % of o2 is a no no. so as you said. totally diver error. this would seem to indicate it had nothing to do with whether the regs were o2 cleaned etc or not.

Sadly back when I was first considering sm, I got Jill’s book-worthless
Got her rebreather book-ridiculously basic and less information than a 5 minute sb search.
That video-sucks.

Back
Top Bottom