High pressure Quick Disconnects

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aklinz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello out there. I am considering purchasing a pair of (high pressure) quick disconnects for my wife and I's dive computer consoles. We are really tired of them swinging around on the end of their hose, banging into things ! Has anyone had any issues with these ? By that, I mean the console accidentally becoming disconnected while underwater ? We routinely grab our console, and then ROTATE it to view the screen while under water... Would this rotating cause it to inadvertently disconnect ? Thanks !

I had a Suunto one of these at one point. The pressure locks the components together. It couldn’t possibly come apart unless the pressure was relieved in the first stage.

Okay, cool... I was hoping it was like that. So can you still swivel the console around while under pressure ?

@aklinz why are they swinging around and hitting things? You should have a bolt snap on the end of it, and it should always be clipped off somewhere. When attached to the rig and diving, it should be clipped to a d-ring. Standard says left hip, but could also be left or right shoulders. Don't really care, but it should be clipped off to the BC when it's on a tank.
When it's not on the tank, clip it off to the dust cap on the regulator. DIN will have a screw on cap of some variety, so you can put a zip tie, piece of string, whatever on the end of that and clip the second stages and the SPG back to the first stage so they don't flap about. On yoke, the dust caps usually stay on the regulator the whole time, so you can clip it to the rubber. If you don't like them, then you can get creative for another way to clip off.

I like using these hangers. They hold the BC, reg, and fins. Three options for clipping things off. Easy way is to put the reg on, then the BC, then clip the regs to the d-rings on the BC. I don't like that because it doesn't let you remove the BC without unclipping everything. Second easy way is to just put a loop of line over the hooks on the edge and clip the regs to that, but they aren't secure. What I do *that I unceremoniously stole from my dive instructor, who probably stole it from someone else*, is to drill a couple holes in the main part of the hanger, about 3" from the "hooks", and put a zip tie/piece of line/pick something to clip into in the holes. You then cross clip the SPG to the "right" side of the hanger, and the primary second stage to the left side. The secondary stays on its suicide strap/necklace which can be clipped in with the primary, or you can thread the bungee through the zip tie and hook the body of the second stage with it to hold it tighter in. This gives enough clearance for the BC straps to not interfere with the regulator

upload_2020-1-30_13-1-36.png

If you're adamant about a SPG quick disconnect, the good ones cam in, so they can't come undone under pressure. Well, they could, but you aren't strong enough to do it. Spools on both sides to maintain swivel.
DGX High Pressure Hose Quick Disconnect Adapter | Dive Gear Express®

I have used the Suunto QD but the one listed by DGX look nice. When attached to a HP hose they swivel because there is a swivel on the HP hose.

You have the high pressure locking the disconnect on and there is a twist on quick connect as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom