Packing for Live Aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheap over the door rack frees space in the tighter cabins by allow both people to store camera gear, sandals, shower products etc and takes up almost no packing room.

2 pair of sandals so you always have a dry pair.

I haven't had a yeast infection in years, but I never travel without a Diflucan - one pill cures a yeast infection. With as much as you'll be in a wet swimsuit there's always a chance it'll happen. Take any medications you might need but can't get on a boat in the middle of the ocean - antibiotics, antibiotic cream (the kind with an analgesic is my preference), duct tape to function as bandaid and other things, any special snacks you might not find on the boat, lycra socks or footed leggings, a couple pair of flip flops (so you'll have one that is dry), a nice hat with a wide brim for hanging out ...
You don't wear shoes aboard. If fact, they often take them and put them in a crate. So, one pair, for when you leave the bost, is sufficient

You don't wear shoes aboard. If fact, they often take them and put them in a crate. So, one pair, for when you leave the bost, is sufficient
I will defer to you on this as im not experienced in this type of travel. I'm simply going by replies on my recent post of the same nature. Im sure like other nuances, that the shoe procedure varies by boat. I will be wearing my strapped sandals and will bring my slide ons just in case as they don't weigh much or take up significant space.

As for the door mounted shoe rack, it seems a great idea to make the most out of the limited storage space in the cabins. Not intended to actually store shoes in, rather all the little items that would clutter the small space. Sunscreen, shampoo, batteries, chargers (when not in use) t-shirts, dry swimsuits etc.

It's been a while since we were on Blackbeards, but I remember not only wearing shoes but also wearing the only pair of wool SOCKS I brought because it was so freaking cold in March! And I have pictures of us wearing shoes on the Juliet. The only boat I've been on that made you take your shoes off as you got on is Pacific Rim's boat - and it's not a live aboard. Must be a boat decision. At the very least, bring some socks that have grips on the bottom (or use fabric paint to put little buttons of grippy areas) so you can keep your footing while also not burning the bottoms of your feet on deck. I have neoprene socks that I used fabric paint on for that purpose.

11 liveaboards and counting and none have "allowed" footwear on board. They are usually stored for you upon embarkation and given back to you upon disembarkation though I am sure there might be exceptions and is not a rule. I think someone was able to wear flip flops due to some medical issue but they were given very specific instructions on safety and having to maintain hold of something at all times while wearing them, especially while in motion, but I think that is probably sage advice for everyone regardless. :)

I kind of like the organizer idea as some are really light and easy to pack. I don't know that I would actually bring one but I can see the convenience of this, especially not having to dig in what they call a "closet" or "wardrobe" for something that you frequently might want to access easily. Thinking back on all the cabin doors and them not being standard size along with the clearance between the threshold and the door itself, I wonder if it actually fits well enough (in length) and that the door shuts securely without issue or damage to the threshold or door.

I have to admit, the shoe organizer seems pretty genius. I'm thinking to my last trip, where we had a total of no less then 5 cameras with us. We were constantly looking for cables and different lenses. I think this would have helped a lot.

11 liveaboards and counting and none have "allowed" footwear on board. They are usually stored for you upon embarkation and given back to you upon disembarkation though I am sure there might be exceptions and is not a rule. I think someone was able to wear flip flops due to some medical issue but they were given very specific instructions on safety and having to maintain hold of something at all times while wearing them, especially while in motion, but I think that is probably sage advice for everyone regardless. :)

I kind of like the organizer idea as some are really light and easy to pack. I don't know that I would actually bring one but I can see the convenience of this, especially not having to dig in what they call a "closet" or "wardrobe" for something that you frequently might want to access easily. Thinking back on all the cabin doors and them not being standard size along with the clearance between the threshold and the door itself, I wonder if it actually fits well enough (in length) and that the door shuts securely without issue or damage to the threshold or door.
The one I got was cheap enough that if it's too long I will cut a row off the bottom. Most jambs have a 1/4" in between jamb header and door, plenty of room for the flat style holder on the one that I purchased for $8. If it doesn't work then so be it, if it does then great.

As for shoes, we shall see. Again I'm taking 1 pair of slide ons and if we aren't allowed or supposed to wear them then no harm no foul.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom