fin strap replacements- bungee/spring- compatability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandanbob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

I have been reading (and watching videos) that talk about the benefits of newer types of fin "straps."

I have a variety of fins, from my original set of Dacor Turbo Jets, to Aqualung Blades, to Cressi Superfrog and Scubapro split fins.

My question is whether the posts on these fins are all the same, such that a set of replacement bungee or spring 'straps' will work on any of them. I am thinking about getting one of each type, and moving them (if needed) to other fins. Or, just picking one or two pairs to use, and leaving the new straps in place.

Outfitting all my fins with new straps would get expensive, so I think I will avoid that.

Thanks!

Bob

The idea of customising fin straps for better fit and added security dates back at least six decades to a time when many fins came with non-adjustable open-heel straps:
_57a-jpg.453517.jpg

Back in the mid-1950s, here in the UK, many divers opted for the non-adjustable open-heel Typhoon Surfmaster fins above. These fins came in three sizes, 4-6, 7-10 and over 10, which was supposed to address the foot-fitting problem as long as Typhoon dealers stocked the full range of sizes, which was not always the case. Enter "Skinner's handbook for skin divers" of 1956, which offered a simple but ingenious solution for the bargain price of five shillings and six pence:
surfmaster_strap_link_1956-png.454209.png

"SURFMASTER Strap link: available as an extra - by cutting the heel strap and inserting the link the fin can be made adjustable". So the Typhoon Surfmaster could be instantly converted to adjustability with just a pair of scissors and a short length of rubber strapping with buckles on either end!:)

Hi
Just use normal bungee and make as many as you want:)

By "normal bungee", do you mean the type you would get at a hardware store with hooks, and remove the hooks? How well do they stay knotted? I did see one member who had used zip ties to form a "loop" for doffing and donning the fins.

something like that.
I am sure you can make it cleaner :)

Attachments

• 20200130_191915.jpg
    20200130_191915.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 141
Can you buy spools of bungee, like you can for rope or wire?

You won't find bigger fans of spring straps than California shore divers.
We make a lot of surf entries around here, and spring straps make it a whole lot easier.

Amongst my dive buddies we use mostly the metal spring strap type rather than bungie.

The width and depth of fin foot pockets, and the position of strap attachment points, varies greatly between different models of fins.
This means the distance your heel sticks out of the foot pocket will not be the same for every fin.
So, switching the same set of spring straps between different fins will not always work.
In addition, if you switch between light weight boots and expedition weight boots, the same is true.
(I usually wear a light weight boot on boats and for sand entries, and expedition boots for rock, so I have a separate set of fins for both).

Also, if you order the straps online confirm that you can exchange them if they don't fit.
Choosing a strap length can be a guessing game until you actually try them on.
The attachment mechanisms are not universal, and can cause problems too.
It's taken sometimes two or three tries for me to settle on the right strap.

The spring straps should push your feet firmly into the foot pocket, but not crush your toes.
If the straps are too long, the fins will wobble.

See the post below by @Zef for a better description of correct strap length.

K.

The spring straps should push your feet firmly into the foot pocket, but not crush your toes.
If the straps are too long, the fins will wobble.

I don't agree that the strap, spring or otherwise, should be pushing your foot at all. My opinion is that the foot should insert into the foot pocket of the fin without any extra space, play/wobble, side to side movement. The strap is there so the foot cannot back out of the fin / fin slide off the foot.

Bungee and spring type straps by design should stretch slightly when donning the fin and should remain in the slight stretched state to maintain some tension between the strap around the heel of the foot and the fin, but it does not need to be "firm pressure" pulling the fin over the foot....that often leads to foot cramps.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom