Be careful in Coron: operator(s) taking non-wreck certified divers inside the shipwrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dove with Reggae and I had zero problems, it shocks me that this happened to you.

I think that most people who go to Coron expect to be able to penetrate a wreck at least partially, even if they aren't wreck trained. You don't require wreck training (although your insurance might not cover you), it's just a very good idea. How many small caves have I been into without cave training? Or deployed SMBs. Or the time I went to 25m with just an open water cert. Or, hell, I am not a PADI Boat Diver yet I've dove off of boats my whole career. The other guys nailed it on the head, that if you're uncomfortable you can end the dive. I was asked if I wanted to go through a long swim through on a dive once and I declined twice, I just wasn't comfortable or confident that day so it wasn't for me, and not once did anyone make me question my decision afterwards. I'm a Health and Safety professional in real life, and at the end of the day YOU are responsible for YOUR own safety, and everyone has different risk tolerances. I'm not saying that I would take uncertified or unqualified divers into a wreck if I was the guide, but nothing is to say that even if someone is qualified that they are competent.

Yes, this is really problematic and does not reflect well on the operator at all, to take people on dives for which they are not qualified and equipped. You even had the good common sense and training to ask for proper dive plans - imagine how many people will be taken on similar dives and who would think that this is ok. "They pay, and that's why they go in" one operator (who shall remain unnamed) told me once. Irresponsible!

I am actually surprised that there are not more accidents, but maybe it's just that not more accidents become public?

It's not easy for a relatively novice diver to make the decision underwater to signal the (supposedly highly qualified and responsible) DM that he/she does not want to enter the wreck, and rather go on top of it.

Many areas are... but there are some that are very dim, dark even and somewhat tight quarters. I was on one particular dive there, and despite there being relatively wide open areas to go in, we were led into a tight, dark room, same way in as out. I was the only one with a light and I could barely see the DM. If I had a full briefing on what that particular room was like I’d have declined. There were no issues but the group was less than pleased with that part of the dive.

When I did the Kittiwake I was surprised at how much of a penetration/overhead it was, considering the typically conservative rules and practices on Cayman. I'm unclear if they typically vet divers at all - there was one person on our dive who was a hot mess (lousy buoyancy control, kicking everything including other divers, generally a cluster) and definitely shouldn't have been there. I don't think the person who led the dive ever looked back and would not have noticed if they lost someone along the way.

Being wreck certified doesn’t preclude winding up in the same horror story. On one hand one can learn their limits and when to say no, on the other, one can think they are actually wreck divers. Certified is not the same as qualified.

There have only been a handful of buddies that I would penetrate a wreck with, I believe solo is safer than an unknown diver. I might dive a sanitized wreck tour if there is no silt and I could continually see exits I could fit my fat ass through.

I am not afraid of the wreck, I’m just wary of situations that can go sideways that I have no control over.

Not following the rules to closely is about par for my dive experience in every third world country that I have dove in.

In all my dive time, only once was I ever asked to show log, cert cards or anything to prove that I had any qualifications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom