Is Cozumel SAFE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know there are and have been travel bands in parts of Mexico - however, is Cozumel safe (outside of the resort)?

Thanks

J
Few years ago I committed a traffic violation (making an "illegal" u-turn) on a side street near Senior Frogs. A rather large sweaty police man fined me $50 on the spot. He settled for $20. Never got a receipt.

Few years ago I committed a traffic violation (making an "illegal" u-turn) on a side street near Senior Frogs. A rather large sweaty police man fined me $50 on the spot. He settled for $20. Never got a receipt.
It may not have been the U-turn itself that was illegal. If you made a U-turn on a side street you most likely were headed the wrong way on a one-way street either before or after the turn.

It may not have been the U-turn itself that was illegal. If you made a U-turn on a side street you most likely were headed the wrong way on a one-way street either before or after the turn.
I intended to reverse direction and take the first right which would have been a left if I'd seen it. I didn't get far. I was in the wrong no doubt. No other traffic in sight.

I intended to reverse direction and take the first right which would have been a left if I'd seen it. I didn't get far. I was in the wrong no doubt. No other traffic in sight.
Um, OK, but "illegal" should not have been in quotes, IMO. You got off lightly.

Bag Dragged to Cozumel and took ferry over then returned to mainland, rented a car and drove a bit North where we rented a house for a few days. Drove the highways and side streets from Cancun to Talum with no issues and even shopped at local grocery stores as an obvious non Spanish speaking tourista. No issues what so ever... Situational awareness is always key. Then again I have sort of a resting bitch face when I need to so theres that...lol

It's as safe as any city in the US don't go wandering around the hood alone don't flash wad of cash. A taxi can take you to any restuarant you wanna go to including some excellent ones in the hood. El moro comes to mind. And they will all call a taxi for you after dinner. Be smart if you wouldn't do it at home don't do it on vacation. The locals are some of the nicest friendliest people ever. ENJOY

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom