WB Assistance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Bomberg

Contributor
Reaction score
Would you recommend setting the WB to Auto or Flash if all my photography is done using 2 Inon S-2000 strobes?

Thanks Clevelandguy read the article and alas, no I have read over and over to set the WB to auto if using flash, but I was hoping somebody who has used both (and is a good photographer, unlike me) can say use this and why.

That being said, are you planning to run your strobes manually or STTL, I am trying to learn manual as it gives me more battery time and faster cycle times but have to admit straight STTL is soooo easy!

Thanks Clevelandguy read the article and alas, no I have read over and over to set the WB to auto if using flash, but I was hoping somebody who has used both (and is a good photographer, unlike me) can say use this and why.

That being said, are you planning to run your strobes manually or STTL, I am trying to learn manual as it gives me more battery time and faster cycle times but have to admit straight STTL is soooo easy!

Prob ttl to start. I've got till may to figure it out. Lol
I'm headed to Roatan and Utila for 2 weeks so hopefully I can figure it out.

When? I am at Infinity Bay from the 17th of Feb to the 3rd.

STTL works great but the cycle time is a bit longer. I highly recommend the back scatter videos and while I am not a great photographer and have only used the gear on one trip I will gladly share what I have learnt to date.

I had dinner with a great professional photographer and he told me when he did underwater (using film) he had a table taped to his strobe of F stop to strobe setting, and the idea makes sense so I am trying to develop the mapping but if that fails I may revert to STTL.

When? I am at Infinity Bay from the 17th of Feb to the 3rd.

STTL works great but the cycle time is a bit longer. I highly recommend the back scatter videos and while I am not a great photographer and have only used the gear on one trip I will gladly share what I have learnt to date.

I had dinner with a great professional photographer and he told me when he did underwater (using film) he had a table taped to his strobe of F stop to strobe setting, and the idea makes sense so I am trying to develop the mapping but if that fails I may revert to STTL.

May 2nd to the 17th. I printed out the backscatter settings for the tg-5. Waiting for the TG-6 videos to drop to see if there are any differences.

I dont think there are significant ones as far as I remember

I’ve been shooting with the S-2000 since 2009 with 4 different cameras. Currently using it with a TG-4.
I keep it on STTL and use the EV controller on my camera to adjust lighting as needed to get the exposure I want. This strobe recycles fast enough for me, have never had an issue with it not being ready for my next shot as well as it getting four dives on a set of batteries.

You set WB to auto because it generally works, the strobes produce about 5400K light - daylight colour balance and the algorithms work fine to white balance the scenes as they are in the normal range of colour temperature for most photos. The time it won't work is if the strobe output is not high enough. I believe Backscatter recommend setting the camera exposure compensation slightly negative to reduce the impact of ambient light on the shot and ensure flash is the dominant light. You don't use flash as you may want some green correction and ambient light contributes some light and this increases as you get further away.

BTW Backscatter get one thing wrong in recommending you use f8(at the wide end - it's f18 at the tele end) - this is not stopping down at all it is an ND filter and you would only use it for example to try to darken the background shooting macro for example to reduce the exposure from ambient light.

Thank you Chris Ross, that makes sense and since in 99% of the cases the strobes will be the dominant light that makes great sense.

Next thing to discover is setting to vivid colors or neutral, there seems to be advocates of both, and I suspect I need to figure this out trough experimentation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom