Checking a YETI cooler with SCUBA gear inside, no fees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi...

I'm new on here but couldn't find anything like this on a search...

I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone. We're chartering a boat out of Grenada for a trip through the Grenadines at the end of May. The boats usually come with a cheap cooler that won't even keep ice for 24 hours. So, my solution is to check a YETI cooler and put my SCUBA gear inside (I'm flying American Airlines). I know that packing regular items like clothes in a cooler would require the cooler to meet standard checked bag limitations (50lbs and maximum L+W+H of 62 linear inches). However, I think that if I put my SCUBA gear in the cooler, it will then be considered "Special Items/Sports Equipment" and will then have those bag limitations (50lbs and maximum L+W+H of 126 linear inches).

I was wondering if anyone has ever done this? I'm afraid this is a bit of a grey area and you could imagine how frustrating it would be to show up at the airport expecting to be able to check the cooler + gear only to be told that I owe $200 (each way) in over-size fees.

Any experience, ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

I would be very cautious even with what they put in writing, I think American leads the pack in bumping people off of their flights. You can buy a lot of ice for what they are likely to charge. Check ahead and see if anyone sells those cheap white styrofoam coolers.

I’m taking AA to Curaçao in April and I plan to carry all of my gear.

Sounds like a recipe to get everything stolen. Yeti is a known high end brand and is highly resellable. Either insure the heck out of it or spray paint it to look like a Coleman.

Your arrangement sounds like a magic twinkie for would be thieves. (golden delicious on the outside, creamy surprise filling)

If its under 50lbs i do not see why it would be an issue. No different than checking a bag that is 50lbs.

I fly alot about 70 flights a year, granted I am United 1k (you get free 3 bag 70bs per bag allowance) so never get questions about my luggage in the US however most of my travel is overseas and I travel with 2 Pelican cases with rebreather, 6-7 regulators and all other accessories. Never have I been charge more because they say oh you have "sporting equipment" so we need to apply a sure charge. sometime they have questions about the rebreather but other than that no problems. But I have never flown AA so I cant speak for them. United is the only US air carrier I fly but I have flow tons and tons of foreign air carries with no issues. On a side note Turkish Airlines actually has a 2 free checked bag policy if you tell them you have scuba gear. Really nice for trips to Sharm El Sheikh/Dahab area since they have direct flight from Istanbul, also security is very rebreather relaxed since they see so many of them.

airlines can actually reject items over 70lbs, and you would have to ship them cargo

airlines can actually reject items over 70lbs, and you would have to ship them cargo

Yes but if you keep it at 70lbs or under no issues I have flown alot with 50-70lbs luggage. That is assuming your flying first class/or you are some sort of Elite status with the airline you are flying with. If your basic economy and no status then yes they will charge you ALOT! for the extra weight especially if you have 2 or 3 bags in the 50-70lbs range.

Back
Top Bottom