Has anyone dove Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand that large sea life is a component of good dives. And I'm not singling you out here, rather just mentioning some possible places to consider.
Last year I dove San Salvador, Bahamas. Out of the 18 dives there, I did not see a shark only on the last dive, (and it ticked me off), though someone else did.
In 2018, we were at Lighthouse Reef, Belize, (Huracan Lodge), and there were 3-5 sharks on EVERY dive. In fact at both places, it actually became annoying because I couldn't focus on much else while they were around. I know, POOR ME, right?! But when you are trying to focus on macro and these guys want to swim within arms reach of you, you pay attention!

BTW, the tarpon are still on The Hooker.
I also saw gray reef sharks on Lighthouse Reef. One of the best dives ever.

As for turtles on Bonaire there is a grass flat on the south end of Lac Bay where they feed, rest, etc. and seeing 30 there is not really all that hard.

Tarpon are on the Hooker, in the deep water at the end of the Salt Pier and on other sites like hanging around the anchored sail boats at Something Special.

Next question, to some it may sound crazy to others maybe not. Where's the best place to dive with the largest concentration of sharks. I love diving with sharks it's just a passion of mine.

Next question, to some it may sound crazy to others maybe not. Where's the best place to dive with the largest concentration of sharks. I love diving with sharks it's just a passion of mine.
You wouldn't choose Bonaire if you're looking for sharks. I have just under 200 dives off Bonaire and have seen 2 small Nurse Sharks. Last April, my wife and a few others saw a couple of Reef Sharks off of Klein Bonaire at South Bay, I didn't see them. I know they occasionally see sharks off the east side, I've not seen any on my dives there.

No worries, always enjoy diving with sharks when I can find them. Hope to dive the Hammerhead migration in FL this April. My wife and I are looking at July or Oct in Bonaire. I figure a week should be enough for a first time visit or would 10 days be better?

You can get in at any of the marked dive sites on Bonaire and be diving with the largest concentration of sharks on the island! :cool: My brother has over 600 dives on the island. He saw his first shark just a few weeks ago. Bonaire is not known for shark diving. My gf likes that....

Where's the best place to dive with the largest concentration of sharks.

Socorro. Last Nov/Dec we dove with sharks on every dive. Shark species identified were hammerhead, tiger, silky, white tip, silver tip, galopogos and dusky.

No worries, always enjoy diving with sharks when I can find them. Hope to dive the Hammerhead migration in FL this April. My wife and I are looking at July or Oct in Bonaire. I figure a week should be enough for a first time visit or would 10 days be better?

Oct the winds are light and sometimes switch directions. Makes East side and Far Southern and candyland easier. But less wind makes it feel hotter.

Bring an empty plastic water bottle on your dive and start crinkling it under water. See if they come running. If anything happens, it's not my fault, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom