Bucket List Checked Off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CapnCohen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, everyone! When I was a little kid, I pretended I was a frogman when I "swam" under the living room table wearing my dad's old, single pane dive mask (think, "Sea Hunt"). Decades later, I finally became certified after a Discover Scuba outing in Kauai last summer. My first ocean boat excursion was last week off of Key Largo. I can't wait to explore more places and capture video (my background is in videography).

Welcome! You're about to discover a whole new world to explore.

Whereabouts in VA are you from?

Welcome! You're about to discover a whole new world to explore.

Whereabouts in VA are you from?
I live in Crozet, about 14 miles west of Charlottesville. But I'm originally from NYC (I just updated my profile) and lived in Los Angeles and the SF-Bay Area before I moved to Virginia in 1998. So I've morphed from "fuggedaboutit" to "all y'all."

I live in Crozet, about 14 miles west of Charlottesville. But I'm originally from NYC (I just updated my profile) and lived in Los Angeles and the SF-Bay Area before I moved to Virginia in 1998. So I've morphed from "fuggedaboutit" to "all y'all."

Sounds good, I am a little further north in Loudoun County. You have Lake Phoenix about 2 hours away from you for local diving, and the wrecks of offshore NC arent far at all, thats where I do 80+% of my diving.

Sounds good, I am a little further north in Loudoun County. You have Lake Phoenix about 2 hours away from you for local diving, and the wrecks of offshore NC arent far at all, thats where I do 80+% of my diving.
I did my OWC at Lake Phoenix.

I did my OWC at Lake Phoenix.

There you go, you'd be surprised how many people I talk to that live even closer than you do that don't know about that place. It's not world class diving, but its there and serves its purpose. I was there this past weekend, water temps were about 48-49 degrees. That's pretty much the closest local thing to where you are, get some experience and head down to Wilmington or Morehead City for a weekend, some of the best diving in the world is only 5ish hours away from you!

There you go, you'd be surprised how many people I talk to that live even closer than you do that don't know about that place. It's not world class diving, but its there and serves its purpose. I was there this past weekend, water temps were about 48-49 degrees. That's pretty much the closest local thing to where you are, get some experience and head down to Wilmington or Morehead City for a weekend, some of the best diving in the world is only 5ish hours away from you!
Thanks for the tip, Austin!

Hello, everyone! When I was a little kid, I pretended I was a frogman when I "swam" under the living room table wearing my dad's old, single pane dive mask (think, "Sea Hunt"). Decades later, I finally became certified after a Discover Scuba outing in Kauai last summer. My first ocean boat excursion was last week off of Key Largo. I can't wait to explore more places and capture video (my background is in videography).

Welcome better late than never. Did your "swim" in the living room resemble this? That was my 1st dive circa 1960
vintage_diver circa 1960.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom