Storing steel tanks in sub zero garage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've searched a couple threads but not really found any great answers: can I store my full (~2000PSI) steel tanks in a 0° or below garage in the winter? I see plenty of threads about not storing your full tanks in the sun/heat... but not the other way around. I would think the only risk is to the rubber O-rings which I'm OK with replacing if need be.

I did that and all my cylinders got rust in them. The dewpoint of 240 bar scuba air is 30 degrees F I believe, so at that temperature/pressure moisture will condense on the cylinder wall.

Cold isn’t going to hurt the steel, nor the gas inside the tank. The important parts of your tank valve are made out of brass and Teflon (PTFE). Cold isn’t going to hurt those either. Ref: Low Temperature Rating | Zeus. https://indico.cern.ch/event/90787/...s/1093424/1559936/Materials_in_Cryogenics.pdf

Besides, where do you think the rest of us in the great frozen north store our scuba tanks? :)

As for condensation: scuba air (Grade E) should be rated to -50° F, not 30. Otherwise, our gas could freeze during an ice dive. Ref: United States Breathing Air Standards – A Complete Guide

It can cause condensation and rust provided the air is at the maximum suggested allowable moisture volume of 67ppm (-50f/-45c). That being said, that's REAL close to making your compressor filters useless, so most "air" tends to be lower than that. It's bad for business when you get hydrocarbon and CO bypass in your tanks because your charcoal and Hopcalite are wet.

The US Navy uses -65f(-53c)/24ppm as their maximum standard, although Analytical Chemists claims that the stuff they test for the Navy tends to be around a -70f(-57c) dewpoint or even colder.

Point is, you're PROBABLY below the threshold, but if you're not, you're gonna need your tanks tumbled. Choice is yours. I'd just shove them in a closet in the house and not worry about it.

It can cause condensation and rust provided the air is at the maximum suggested allowable moisture volume of 67ppm (-50f/-45c). That being said, that's REAL close to making your compressor filters useless, so most "air" tends to be lower than that. It's bad for business when you get hydrocarbon and CO bypass in your tanks because your charcoal and Hopcalite are wet.

The US Navy uses -65f(-53c)/24ppm as their maximum standard, although Analytical Chemists claims that the stuff they test for the Navy tends to be around a -70f(-57c) dewpoint or even colder.

Point is, you're PROBABLY below the threshold, but if you're not, you're gonna need your tanks tumbled. Choice is yours. I'd just shove them in a closet in the house and not worry about it.
I would store them with a few hundred psi and fill up at the start of the next season. Compare the cost of a fill to the cost of a tumble.

Cold isn’t going to hurt the steel, nor the gas inside the tank. The important parts of your tank valve are made out of brass and Teflon (PTFE). Cold isn’t going to hurt those either. Ref: Low Temperature Rating | Zeus. https://indico.cern.ch/event/90787/...s/1093424/1559936/Materials_in_Cryogenics.pdf

Besides, where do you think the rest of us in the great frozen north store our scuba tanks? :)

As for condensation: scuba air (Grade E) should be rated to -50° F, not 30. Otherwise, our gas could freeze during an ice dive. Ref: United States Breathing Air Standards – A Complete Guide
the -50 is at 15psi or 1atm

I have steel 95's, steel 3L, Alum 80's, Alum 6cf, Alum 40's, Alum 30's, Steel 72 all in my garage some for over 20yrs in unheated garage in Minnesota never a problem. Most stored full in the case of the 95's at 3200psi
Just took 13 in for hydro's all passed.
Al

I have my fleet of ~25 cylinders in my garage in Minnesota. Typical winter temps go down to around -10 F.

I do my own VIPs and have not noted any sort of pervasive problem with rust.

Most compressors pump air considerably drier than the Grade E standard requires.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom