First liveaboard advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you've already done the kind of repetitive diving you'll be doing on this trip, disregard my experiences re: thermal protection; yours are more relevant. Though I still can't shill enough for Surf-Fur for surface intervals. I swear I'm not being paid by them, but I'm open to that if they want to consider me.

Yes, I wore the lycra socks under my dive booties. If you put them on first, before your wetsuit, they make sliding your feet through just a little bit easier. But they are a bit more slippery on the boat deck.

There is absolutely no story behind the Pepto. I don't even poop.
I just bought a boat coat, looked at the surf fur, now you have me second guessing my choice not to go with it

Any experience with new skin instead? A friend suggested new skin for any booboos as it holds up against water well.

I've used new skin but it usually dissolves after a dive or two in salt water. It may work for you but I personally wouldn't rely on it.

I just bought a boat coat, looked at the surf fur, now you have me second guessing my choice not to go with it

My Surf Fur is my favorite piece of not-really-dive-gear gear.

Waterproof tape. If you get blisters or a cut it will protect for several dives.

Take extra bathing suits, take all your neoprene. Hanging space for wetsuits has never been an issue and getting into a dry suit is huge when doing that many dives in a day.

Short extension cord with multiple outlets.

I take a bag of chocolate - but I am particular about what I like and boat treats are not what I like.

you will not need most of the clothes you pack. On most liveaboards I go with a t shirt for every day, a pair of shorts, long pants and a sweatshirt. 5 bathing suits ( some double as shorts) a couple of warm pairs of socks and underwear for each day. That’s it. Rarely use the sweatshirt, the long pants or the socks. Dive socks are a good idea.

My advice is to not let problems fester. If there's a real issue with anything (accommodations, food, your gear, another diver, health issues, whatever), take it up with the dive director or guide as appropriate right away rather than trying to tough it out. The director should have the experience and resources to deal with pretty much anything that comes up, let him or her do so.

My advice is to not let problems fester. If there's a real issue with anything (accommodations, food, your gear, another diver, health issues, whatever), take it up with the dive director or guide as appropriate right away rather than trying to tough it out. The director should have the experience and resources to deal with pretty much anything that comes up, let him or her do so.
I'm pretty go with the flow kind of guy when on vacation, but not bashful about voicing issues. That being said I have already considered how to handle situations when stuck on such close proximity to everyone for an extended period of time. Thanks for the solid advice

earplugs if you're sharing a cabin

edit, also worth thinking about nitrox for the whole trip. I just came back from the Socorro Vortex which is nitrox only, and it was the first time I've done repetitive dives on multiple days and not found myself exhausted at the end of it.

I second (5th?) a lot of the suggestions you've received. I've been perfectly fine taking one full 3 mm wetsuit, but some people have needed a skin/sharkskin underneath or a 5mm full wetsuit, plus a beanie. It totally depends on your tolerance.

At least 4 swimsuits come in handy. I find that by the time the night dive comes around, you might not want to get into an already wet swimsuit. So, 2 swimsuits one day, rinse and hang to dry. Men's swim trunks might dry faster, but I find I prefer another swimsuit the next day. Ok, maybe it's a fashion statement. :wink:

I always wear my neoprene socks, but people love lycra socks now.

My spring loaded clips were from Canadian Tire, but I'm sure you can get them from Home Depot or a hardware store or get the Nemo or other character ones even from a dollar store.

A light dollar store over the door shoe organizer came in really handy on the Belize Aggressor III for little things like sunglasses, moisture muncher packs for the camera housing, watch, shoes, etc.

I take a sleeve of various just-in-case over-the-counter meds such as Sudafed, Buckley's Cough and Cold, Gravol, Immodium, Reactine, plus DomeBoro Otic or Star Otic (Dry ear drops), Polysporin ear/eye drops, Polysporin or other antibiotic cream, plus various bandaids.

Aggressor has all charging done at a charging station on the dive deck, so have all of your items and cables labeled. My combination travel surge protector with outlets and usb ports was very popular.

For traveling abroad, a lot of countries don't have grounded outlets, which puts your electronics at risk, so I carry 2 small grounded single outlet converters. Cheap insurance.
You might want to check if you need a Hi-Lo converter and any adapter plugs in your hotel.

I started a similar thread last year in the Aggressor forum if you'd like to take a look: Tips for the Belize Aggressor III?

You can't buy sudafed in Mx any more (at least I was told by several pharmacias that was the case) so bring it from home if you need it.

I also took a bottle of isopropyl alcohol for 'swimmers ear', I didn't use it, but it made other people happy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom