First liveaboard advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBigfins

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I just snagged an unexpected spot on my first liveaboard to Socorro on March 26- April 3. Normally our family vacations are land based dive vacations that offer my wife (a previous non diver who is just recently certified) options for an enjoyable vacation and my 16 y/o son the option to dive and also enjoy some down time while I dive constantly. I will be making this trip solo, so I won't have to feel guilty about balancing diving with topside family time. So excited as this is one of my top 10 bucket list locations and due to a good deal I will be able to experience it sooner than I expected.

I'm looking for some advice on must pack items for liveaboards, advice for clothing for Socorro during this time of year, any other advice for a liveaboard newbie. Any must have dive gear you recommend ( have plb, naitulis, pony, boots, smb, reel and all typical dive gear) Also looking for any must see or do activities in Cabo San Lucas as I will be arriving 2 days early (got first class cheaper 2 days early than I could get economy the day before charter leaves) Thank you in advance for all your useful advice.

Lycra socks. Several wise SBers told me to get them for my first LOB, and I did. A couple days in, I stupidly started wondering if they were really necessary (my feet were fine), but kept wearing them anyway. The next day, everyone who didn't have socks started getting blisters. My feet remained fine.

Also clips for hanging your swimsuit to dry on railings. I got the silly parrot ones, but I hear dolphins work well too.

Pepto-Bismol. That's all I'm going to say on that subject.

And probably more exposure protection and a warmer coat than you think you'll need. How much extra neoprene for repetitive dives on liveaboard?

Lycra socks. Several wise SBers told me to get them for my first LOB, and I did. A couple days in, I stupidly started wondering if they were really necessary (my feet were fine), but kept wearing them anyway. The next day, everyone who didn't have socks started getting blisters. My feet remained fine.

Also clips for hanging your swimsuit to dry on railings. I got the silly parrot ones, but I hear dolphins work well too.

Pepto-Bismol. That's all I'm going to say on that subject.

And probably more exposure protection and a warmer coat than you think you'll need. How much extra neoprene for repetitive dives on liveaboard?
I plan to take 3 wetsuits, a 3 mm shorty, a 3mm full, and a 5 mm full as well as a 3 mm jacket. I typically run warm and from my understanding the water temps will be in the mid to high 70s. This is normally 3mm long temps for me. I typically do 3-5 dives a day on vacation, and our dive vacations are typically 10-20 days long. So I'm familiar with multiple dives a day, repeatedly. Although they are typically in locations that offer a bit warmer weather on the surface intervals.

Thanks for the heads up on the socks, did you wear them under your dive boots? I intend to wear my 5mm rock boots for diving. Intend to take clips for hanging suits and towels etc, I think I lean more towards dolphins than parrots (no offense) Why do I get a sense that there is a story behind the Pepto?

If you've already done the kind of repetitive diving you'll be doing on this trip, disregard my experiences re: thermal protection; yours are more relevant. Though I still can't shill enough for Surf-Fur for surface intervals. I swear I'm not being paid by them, but I'm open to that if they want to consider me.

Yes, I wore the lycra socks under my dive booties. If you put them on first, before your wetsuit, they make sliding your feet through just a little bit easier. But they are a bit more slippery on the boat deck.

There is absolutely no story behind the Pepto. I don't even poop.

I'd leave out the shorty and the 3mm full. You can always add water to cool off. Those extra wetsuits take up precious space on a LOB. Duct tape. Extra batteries for camera, light and computers and SD card for camera. Dramamine or Bonine. A quick dry towel to keep with your kit.

Bandaids / medical tape for any blisters that pop up on your feet. Ideally take two different style of boots to mix things up a bit

Triple Antibiotic ointment and bandaids; if you get a little cut or chafed place, say on a toe, this can save some wear and tear and help you heal. Also a fan of Lycra socks.

I like to take a 24-hour Sudafed the morning of a dive day. In the Galapagos, where prompt negative entries were at times needful, this was quite helpful for equalization. I don't know how well you tolerate it, and I stick with long-acting since I don't want it wearing off underwater. I also use Flonase. I've had significant reverse squeeze twice in my life; that's about enough of that!

Similarly, I take over-the-counter and prescription med.s I may want. As someone once said, if it's not on the boat, it's not on the boat. Generics for Imodium, Pepto-Bismol equivalent in pill form, something for urinary pain, I pack quite the little Pharmacy.

I use those 'swimmer's ear' drops every few dives to prevent getting the condition. If you wait till you've got it, it'll burn! Use it as a preventive, and no such problems. I think Trailboss123 uses a product called Ear Shield; I also used it in Bonaire, and it seemed helpful, too.

I bring a little grooming kit to help keep the top of my mustache trimmed off. If you wear glasses, a bunch of those little wipe packets come in handy.

Bandaids / medical tape for any blisters that pop up on your feet. Ideally take two different style of boots to mix things up a bit
Any experience with new skin instead? A friend suggested new skin for any booboos as it holds up against water well.

Triple Antibiotic ointment and bandaids; if you get a little cut or chafed place, say on a toe, this can save some wear and tear and help you heal. Also a fan of Lycra socks.

I like to take a 24-hour Sudafed the morning of a dive day. In the Galapagos, where prompt negative entries were at times needful, this was quite helpful for equalization. I don't know how well you tolerate it, and I stick with long-acting since I don't want it wearing off underwater. I also use Flonase. I've had significant reverse squeeze twice in my life; that's about enough of that!

Similarly, I take over-the-counter and prescription med.s I may want. As someone once said, if it's not on the boat, it's not on the boat. Generics for Imodium, Pepto-Bismol equivalent in pill form, something for urinary pain, I pack quite the little Pharmacy.

I use those 'swimmer's ear' drops every few dives to prevent getting the condition. If you wait till you've got it, it'll burn! Use it as a preventive, and no such problems. I think Trailboss123 uses a product called Ear Shield; I also used it in Bonaire, and it seemed helpful, too.

I bring a little grooming kit to help keep the top of my mustache trimmed off. If you wear glasses, a bunch of those little wipe packets come in handy.
Good advice on the pharmacy, I too have experienced a severe reverse squeeze and would prefer to avoid that in the future. Ear drops are a great call too, just in case

I'd leave out the shorty and the 3mm full. You can always add water to cool off. Those extra wetsuits take up precious space on a LOB. Duct tape. Extra batteries for camera, light and computers and SD card for camera. Dramamine or Bonine. A quick dry towel to keep with your kit.
I was thinking of skipping the shorty anyways, still thinking of the long so that I can switch between dry suits on dives. Putting a clammy cold suit on is never fun, especially if air temps are cooler like they seem they will be. I use scopolamine patches as I'm pretty sensitive to motion sickness and they work better for me. Should need 3 patches but will bring 5 just in case. I bring 2 batteries for my camera, so I can charge 1 while I use one. Good idea on SD card, don't normally bring a spare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom