Uninventing the plastic zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to be slightly OT,

Does anyone know if it's possible to zip a backzip brass zipper solo?

I've watched YT videos and all the ones donned solo are plastic. I don't mind having my buddy do it, but it's more of a self sufficient thing for me. I'd like to hear someone's experience with that, thanks.

Rob...

Bruce from Seasoft has a video regarding self donning ''his'' rear brass zipper neoprene dry-suit...his suits have raglan sleeves...so there is room to pull the sleeve down...grab the zipper loop and pull it closed...

There are also methods using a ''pull rope''and attaching one end to the zipper loop...and the other end to a car door handle...or tree trunk...

The problem with self donning rear zipper suits is that we do not have ''eyes in our back''...if the zipper gets snagged on your under-garment...or on the inner flap...your zipper is immediately ruined...and you may not know it until you are submerged and your suit starts to flood...ScubaPro has a disclaimer warning of rear zipper snag on the inner flap included with their EverDry 4 neoprene suits...

Proceed with caution...

W.M...

Lol, or because you live in FL and the coldest water you see locally is 70F-ish...
That's exactly the temp I bought my drysuit for. 70f water sucks after a while. In a drysuit it's just oh so nice.

If I"m not in board shorts and a rash guard, I'm in a drysuit. It's not because I couldn't deal with a 3mm or 5mm or 7mm or whatever, I just dislike wetsuits for a number of reasons. I can do 70f/21c in board shorts and a rash guard if I'm doing a single recreational dive, a 8 hour rebreather cave dive in the same 70f/21c water definitely requires a drysuit. Same water, two extremes.

If the water temp starts with a 7, I'm in a drysuit. Otherwise I'm shivering.
That's exactly the temp I bought my drysuit for. 70f water sucks after a while. In a drysuit it's just oh so nice.
a 8 hour rebreather cave dive in the same 70f/21c water definitely requires a drysuit.
I haven't done eight hours... four seems to be my max. I did a 4.5 hour cave dive, but I didn't enjoy the final stop. From 90 minutes to four hours, I only do one cave dive a day.

I haven't done eight hours... four seems to be my max. I did a 4.5 hour cave dive, but I didn't enjoy the final stop. From 90 minutes to four hours, I only do one cave dive a day.

My big problem with extended run times isn't necessarily the comfort factor, but the increased DCI risk during the decompression phase of a dive. The end of the day is when I want to be WARM, not for comfort, but for safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom