Uninventing the plastic zipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to be slightly OT,

Does anyone know if it's possible to zip a backzip brass zipper solo?

I've watched YT videos and all the ones donned solo are plastic. I don't mind having my buddy do it, but it's more of a self sufficient thing for me. I'd like to hear someone's experience with that, thanks.
It’s possible but not easy with the chance of catching undergarments or the inner flap in the zip, which usually leads to failure.

When the world renowned drysuit repair guru tells you that brass will last longer, the smart diver goes with brass every time.

I assume you mean Gamble, and he told me always go brass and I did for years, but recently my wife got a santi with the plastic zipper and it's been great. It's the one time I disagree with Gamble. A few years back the tzips were leaking like crazy, but that issue has been resolved. Santi admitted there was an issue and has happily repaired bad zippers. I believe there's probably 1000s of new tzips out there that are working well.
Eventhough Gamble swore brass was the way to go, my wife and I were having to replace brass zippers every 2 years.
I really now think it's a wash. They're both good.

Not being a seasoned veteran like some on SB, I've only ever used plastic zippers. So far, so good. The one problem I had wasn't really with the zipper its-self but the material between the zipper and the suit.

The "bending brass zipper" thing isn't even a thing. Literally not a thing.

As for zipping a backzip solo, yes, I used to do it with my Fusion all the time. Plenty of people do it solo, although most use some sort of hook widget type of thing. I don't necessarily know that I'm any more flexible than anyone else, but I never had an issue with it, nor did I require any sort of tool to do it either.

You can't destroy a zipper if you never use one. :D When you're built like a manatee, you get to dive like one. :D :D :D

The "bending brass zipper" thing isn't even a thing. Literally not a thing.

As for zipping a backzip solo, yes, I used to do it with my Fusion all the time. Plenty of people do it solo, although most use some sort of hook widget type of thing. I don't necessarily know that I'm any more flexible than anyone else, but I never had an issue with it, nor did I require any sort of tool to do it either.

Brass, correct? So do you just pull as much as you can and then switch arms or have some type of bungee to connect and let pull around? How do you prevent any undergarments from getting caught?

I've seen a stick with a hook, but I'm not sure I need all that.

You can't destroy a zipper if you never use one. :D When you're built like a manatee, you get to dive like one. :D :D :D

Lol, or because you live in FL and the coldest water you see locally is 70F-ish...

Lol, or because you live in FL and the coldest water you see locally is 70F-ish...
Most likely the warmest water I'll see here as well. :D :D :D

Sorry to be slightly OT,

Does anyone know if it's possible to zip a backzip brass zipper solo?

I use back zip suits because I have flexible shoulders and can get in and out of them myself. I made a 6” handle extension to help. That’s a function of me and the suit geometry though, metal vs. plastic doesn’t come into it. If you’re a contortionist the back zip has many advantages and front zip makes no sense.

If you’re a contortionist the back zip has many advantages and front zip makes no sense.
IME it's a lot easier to avoid peeing on the suit if it's open in the front and wrapped around to my back, than if it's open in the back and stuffed backwards between my legs.

If you're a show-er, don't experience shrinkage and are hung like a horse, it's possible that it isn't an issue.

Back
Top Bottom