Dive compass under $50 (possible?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catito

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a dive compass under $50 that can be attached to a BCD—not a wrist. Suggestions?

Thanks

Yes indeed. Thanks. No reviews. Sorry, should clarify: Do you have a dive compass under $50 or close to $50-$60 that you like?

Yes indeed. Thanks. No reviews. Sorry, should clarify: Do you have a dive compass under $50 or close to $50-$60 that you like?

Gotcha. I have no experience with the compass in the link. I thought you were just trying to find one to buy.

Go to any camping store and pick something shiny.
This is what I use:
Brunton TruArc 3 Baseplate Compass | MEC

Don't know this model and brand but I'm curious. I have always seen only scuba compasses used by scuba divers. For two reasons I guess: first, they have to resist the pressure of water that could flood a "normal" compass, especially if you dive quite deep. Second, the liquid/oil they contain is meant to keep the compass readable for a diver, who moves in the water in a "shaky" way that would make the compass difficult to read and unaccurate on the surface. Is it the same as a scuba compass? How deep did you dive with it?

Don't know this model and brand but I'm curious. I have always seen only scuba compasses used by scuba divers. For two reasons I guess: first, they have to resist the pressure of water that could flood a "normal" compass, especially if you dive quite deep. Second, the liquid/oil they contain is meant to keep the compass readable for a diver, who moves in the water in a "shaky" way that would make the compass difficult to read and unaccurate on the surface. Is it the same as a scuba compass? How deep did you dive with it?
No issues that I am aware of.

A modern compass is completely liquid filled. So no pressure issues. It is also sealed. So no flooding issues.

The liquid inside the compass serves to dampen the needle movement.

There is nothing special about a scuba compass except the shape and price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom