When Icebergs Melt and Pieces Break Off, Sea Levels Rise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's Causing Sea-Level Rise? Land Ice Vs. Sea Ice Activity | NASA/JPL Edu

"Sea level is rising, in part, because melting glaciers on land are adding more water to Earth’s oceans. Glaciers – large sheets of ice and snow – exist on land all year long. They are found in the mountains of every continent except Australia. Greenland and Antarctica contain giant ice sheets that are also considered glaciers. As temperatures rise, glaciers melt faster than they accumulate new snow. As these ice sheets and glaciers melt, the water eventually runs into the ocean, causing sea level to rise.

Icebergs and frozen seawater also melt in warm temperatures but do not cause sea level to rise. This is because they are already in the water. The volume of water they displace as ice is the same as the volume of water they add to the ocean when they melt. As a result, sea level does not rise when sea ice melts."

What's Causing Sea-Level Rise? Land Ice Vs. Sea Ice Activity | NASA/JPL Edu

"Sea level is rising, in part, because melting glaciers on land are adding more water to Earth’s oceans. Glaciers – large sheets of ice and snow – exist on land all year long. They are found in the mountains of every continent except Australia. Greenland and Antarctica contain giant ice sheets that are also considered glaciers. As temperatures rise, glaciers melt faster than they accumulate new snow. As these ice sheets and glaciers melt, the water eventually runs into the ocean, causing sea level to rise.

Icebergs and frozen seawater also melt in warm temperatures but do not cause sea level to rise. This is because they are already in the water. The volume of water they displace as ice is the same as the volume of water they add to the ocean when they melt. As a result, sea level does not rise when sea ice melts."
Fine, but no one disputes this.
The dispute is about what Jill allegedly said, and if it might have been a simple semantic glitch if in fact she said what she is alleged to have said.

When we freeze water in a glass, the freezing ice will expand, breaking the glass. Therefore, we know that liquid water has LESS volume after icebergs melt, which would have the reverse effect of shrinking the oceans, if all the ice was already in the ocean as icebergs. We fear the landed ice in glaciers.
Most tv presentations are not going to use words as technically accurate as the crowd here at Scubaboard prefers.

Are you saying that as an ice berg melts the total volume decreases so this actually reduces sea level?

When we freeze water in a glass, the freezing ice will expand, breaking the glass. Therefore, we know that liquid water has LESS volume after icebergs melt, which would have the reverse effect of shrinking the oceans, if all the ice was already in the ocean as icebergs. We fear the landed ice in glaciers.
Most tv presentations are not going to use words as technically accurate as the crowd here at Scubaboard prefers.
If the icebergs were totally submerged, you'd be right. But they are not....a fair amount is above the water surface...which is what compensates for the expansion when the water freezes.
Are you saying that as an ice berg melts the total volume decreases so this actually reduces sea level?
No, conservation of mass does not allow this. The previous post confused mass and volume.

Did you happen to notice the tiny little word “if” ? And the words “ it’s the landed ice we fear” ? Because the landed ice, also know as glaciers, are added to the oceans causing the water levels to rise?
Not that I am trying to convince anyone of anything. I’m just going to Zillow to shop for a new home in Canadian Rockies!

Did you happen to notice the tiny little word “if” ? And the words “ it’s the landed ice we fear” ? Because the landed ice, also know as glaciers, are added to the oceans causing the water levels to rise?
Not that I am trying to convince anyone of anything. I’m just going to Zillow to shop for a new home in Canadian Rockies!

It's not as pretty in the mountains as it used to be before the glaciers started melting
:wink:

...Jill Heinerth actually said that as icebergs melt due to global warming, sea levels rise...

So it seems that Jill misspoke and should have said glaciers instead of icebergs. This often-repeated mixup certainly detracts from the science-based climate change talking points, and I can understand some frustration with that. I hope that someone corrected Jill after her talk and that she will be more precise with future talks. She seems intelligent to me, and her history of cave exploration is an indication that she can be detail oriented, so I trust that she can continue to be involved with climate change activism with fewer mixups in the future.

So it seems that Jill misspoke
Occam's Razor. It is easier to believe that the OP misheard, than that Jill misspoke.

Occam's Razor. It is easier to believe that the OP misheard, than that Jill misspoke.

Occam's Razor is about simplicity rather than "easier to believe". I find it simpler to address the comment rather than create a narrative without evidence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom