Has anyone dove Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two turtles today. One at at Atlantis and one at Something Special. The one at SS was a real little guy. The wind is so slack here right now that there were no kiteboarders at Atlantis. Had to take advantage! Very similar to Red Beryl next door but with a really easy entry.

I've seen 7 in one dive at salt pier, the entire time watching people swim over us on their backs.

Yep, everything is just a matter of timing. Being in the right place at the right time changes everything.

On the east (windward) side - not so much on the leeward side.

I wonder what percentage of Bonaire divers make it to the east side? I'm thinking it's really low? That's why I suggested 30 turtles/dive on Bonaire is not realistic.

I find this hard to believe. I have been to Bonaire.

I wonder what percentage of Bonaire divers make it to the east side? I'm thinking it's really low? That's why I suggested 30 turtles/dive on Bonaire is not realistic.
Those that haven't gone out with East Coast Divers are missing out on some really good dives. And there really are an amazing number of turtles lounging around over there. I have some pics (not very good) that have 15-20 turtles in 1 picture!
Headed back in April!

Quick question, east side west side what are the average depths of the shore dives? My wife has ordered the book that was recommended on the dive sites but we haven't received it yet.

Thanks

Bonaire is generally a gental slope and not know for walls. We generally go out to about 60 to 70 ft turn into whatever current, dive to 1500 psi, drift back at around 50' but sites are different. You will love the book.

The book shows some sites like the lake as a loop. In fact alot of the dive planning they show as a loop. Sometimes we follow their dive plan sometimes we wing it. Most sites are not too deep but you can find some deeper sites on the back of the double reef like invisibles, and the Hooker is deep.

Quick question, east side west side what are the average depths of the shore dives? My wife has ordered the book that was recommended on the dive sites but we haven't received it yet.

Thanks
The reef typically starts in 10'-30' of water and goes beyond recreational depth. The swim out varies between 30' to 100+ yards. So the average depth is whatever you want it to be, really. Lots to see regardless of depth. This would primarily cover the west coast.
The east coast has a more limited selection of marked shore dive sites. They all tend to be a bit more challenging, due to the swell/surf. Highly recommend hiring a guide. Other option is boat dives with East Coast Divers. They require advance booking. Again, depths will vary.

Thank y'all this really helps and gives us a great idea of what to expect. Can't wait to get the book.

Back
Top Bottom