Teric compass too sensitive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zurzel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I suppose my Teric compass has a minor issue but before sending it to a certified service center for inspection from Germany to UK (as suggested by Shearwater) may I ask if other Teric owners do see similar behaviour ?

Maybe mine behaves just like all other Terics out there. Then I can save the money and effort for shipping.
This Teric is from 8/2018 but I only recently started using the built-in compass.

The compass is incredibly sensitive to any magnetic influence nearby. A simple screw in a bookshelf leads here to distortions of 10º-15º. An "Iphone SE" digital compass (non-GPS mode) and an old "Suunto Vyper Air" are not noticeable influenced there. I don't have an analogue compass for comparison though.

Also after turning the Teric by pretty much exactly 180º on a flat surface shows the opposite direction usually being off by just/at 5º in most tested locations (hopefully metal free). So just at the border for the red marking of the opposite direction. Marking reverse direction is my main real compass usage btw.
Calibration is done correctly and a magnetic declination setting does not change my results.

Navigating to single digit degree accuracy under water is of course nonsense but I still think 5º is a bit too far off. And even the old Suunto Vyper Air does not show such discrepancy and sensitivity.

Has anybody else similar "sensitivity" experiences with the Teric compass ?

Zurzel

Just tried compass in my Teric.
I don't have a screw but put a large hunting knife nearby and it immediately swung like 20% off.
And I agree that it doesn't show reciprocal direction very well, I would say it only shows N reliably.
I personally think 5 deg accuracy underwater is plenty enough but I really don't care about this feature anyway and have no experience with other DCs/compass.

Thanks for testing, Michael.
Seems it is the general behaviour of all Terics then and it doesn't make sense to send it in for repair.

I agree, it is good enough for finding any direction under water.
Would still be nice if Shearwater could improve it a little bit for a Teric version 2.

I'll go and say it is more of a trait of electronic compasses in general. I can remember watching a guy struggle with a simple NAV class and once the electronic compass was put away and a conventional one used things happened correctly. It was funny and frustrating watching the struggles of the electronic compass. We knocked out a few sources of interference before just giving up.

My experience with the Teric compass is that I need to re-calibrate (spin it around basically) fairly often. It has a tendency to get "stuck" in the same orientation and not track north until re-calibrated. If I expect to use it on a dive I double check before splashing.

I have a Teric computer and the compass is sensitive (for example to my backup analog compass whenever it's close by) and requires recalibration often. It's a pain I agree.

At least it can be calibrated, mine will go out of whack after charging about 1/2 the time, I don’t charge them very often, usually only when below 30% before a dive day. Being able to calibrate is a big plus.

I'll go and say it is more of a trait of electronic compasses in general. I can remember watching a guy struggle with a simple NAV class and once the electronic compass was put away and a conventional one used things happened correctly. It was funny and frustrating watching the struggles of the electronic compass. We knocked out a few sources of interference before just giving up.

I’m going with this. My Perdix compass is so sensitive I don’t bother using it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom