Safety precautions on shore ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcg69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm going with a group of 10 divers to Bonaire for my 1st time.
We'll be renting three trucks to move around the island.
I've read several warnings about non leaving valuables in the trucks while diving, leave the trucks open, etc
Practically speaking, even if we do no bring any valuable, we plan to rent 2 tanks at the time for 2 dives, leaving one in the truck.

Besides taking turns to dive and leaving a sentinel on shore :-( , anyone got advice on best practices to avoid surprises when returning to shore ?

Thanks,
Carmelo

Here's what we did.

Piled all our gear loosely in the bed/backseat - everything needed for 2-3 dives (no bags/cases) the only exception was a spare video battery which I left between the seats - and water.

Bonaire is a pretty small island so you are never more than about 29 mins from where you're staying.

Also a Dive Friens tank exchange if you are using them - they have about 6.

Just 2 of us so we carried 4-6 tanks all week. Get a few tank orings also - saves a drive.

I really would not bother with alternating dives or leaving a sentinel.

Throw the spare tanks in the back, they won't be touched,, All are marked and won't be filled by another shop so have no value.

Make sure to have some sort of small waterproof case for small items like glasses etc. I bought several pairs of sunglasses at the dollar store that would be no loss if taken, all came home with me,
So did the ratty tshirt I wore between dives. I stay in my dive boots all day.

After a few days we evolved a routine - our condo at BelMar was on the main road a few mins. south of town. So we would dive 1-2 dives either north or south then drive by, do any needed exchanges and dive the other area. Several options for lunch along the way also. Sometimes we did a dive south then one north which used up our SI on the ride.

The only way this does not work is the sites north of Karpata as it's one way and smart to stay on the paved road east thu Rincon and back to town - takes around 40 minutes. . There is a road just past Karpata that also returns south bu it's not maintained and rough even in a truck. It saves no time as it's slow going.

If you intend to dive the Slagbaai Park sites plan on just that for the day - rough road and slow going,

On the drive to Rincon if the Flamingoes are in they'll be at Gotomeer a short distance off that road - there's a sign. Or feeding in the salt pans south,

Hi Diversteve,

thanks a lot, that helps ! I will probably adjust to some similar routine if nobody stays on shore

Cheers,
Carmelo

Hi all,

I'm going with a group of 10 divers to Bonaire for my 1st time.
We'll be renting three trucks to move around the island.
I've read several warnings about non leaving valuables in the trucks while diving, leave the trucks open, etc
Practically speaking, even if we do no bring any valuable, we plan to rent 2 tanks at the time for 2 dives, leaving one in the truck.

Besides taking turns to dive and leaving a sentinel on shore :-( , anyone got advice on best practices to avoid surprises when returning to shore ?

Thanks,
Carmelo

In my opinion, no need to stay with the truck. Keep doors unlocked, windows down. We left nothing in the truck but a towel. Tanks in back = no problem.

Fun dives. Friendly people. We had no trouble.

You are definately overthinking the whole procedure. Just relax, that's the beauty of Bonaire. Follow the suggestions above about cheap sunglasses and no extra crap and you will be fine.

Hi Catico, EdC,

thanks, I guess indeed I'll just have to relax and enjoy the dives :)

Cheers,
Carmelo

Tire inflator attachment for bc hose, although with a large group and multiple trucks may be less important. One truck and out by yourself on a remote site it can be pretty handy. Left in truck.

Where we stayed they had all these clear multi liter water bottles that you filled up, threw in the back of your truck, left out in the sun, and used for a quick "hot shower" rinse between dives.

Have fun.

We do the same, leave nothing but ratty tshirts, towels, water and tanks in the truck with the windows down. In about 30 trips over 20 years I have yet to lose anything.
I carry a $20 bill and a CC with me just in case we need anything but to be honest I don't recall ever using them. Those go in a small container that I clip inside a BC pocket, it does not hurt them to get wet.
One possible issue we have had to deal with in the last few years is truck key fobs. These are separate from the key so I just remove it and place it somewhere out of sight in the vehicle, the key goes with me. To start the vehicle, just hold the fob close to the key slot, start and place it back where you have been keeping it.

A little tip, freeze your water bottle and wrap it up in the towels, keeps it cool. I don't recall a water bottle ever removed from the towel in all my trips

As stated above, leave nothing of value in vehicle; no worries.
I'm on Bonaire now, using AB Car Rental/Dive. I will add that, although they only have 1 location to pick up tanks, they have been very good with allowing me to take as many tanks as I wish. As they said: "You have unlimited air package so take as many as you want." So I've been running with 4 tanks (Solo), and they have free Nitrox. It has never been a problem going to get more tanks, the island is small and very easy to navigate.
Enjoy!

As stated above, leave nothing of value in vehicle; no worries.
I'm on Bonaire now, using AB Car Rental/Dive. I will add that, although they only have 1 location to pick up tanks, they have been very good with allowing me to take as many tanks as I wish. As they said: "You have unlimited air package so take as many as you want." So I've been running with 4 tanks (Solo), and they have free Nitrox. It has never been a problem going to get more tanks, the island is small and very easy to navigate.
Enjoy!

Hi,

that's really great to hear, I also have unlimited air package with AB Car Rental/Dive !

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Carmelo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom