First rebreather choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monochrome.
So

Let me explain. At the time, before the 2020 handset, the Vision handset was a very nasty monochrome display which you would have considered state of the art in 1980. The JJ had a colour TFT handset. I didn’t fancy paying 7k for such a nasty UI. The plastic box was another issue. A third was that I was seeing lots of Visions rebuilt like a JJ, so concluded that I might as well start with the JJ. At the time my preferred instructor did not do the JJ but when I hassled him it turned out he was in talks with them so it was all good in the end.

The AP has the advantage of a factory BOV, but it still has the plastic box. I would expect to break that. Also it looks like a prop from 1970s Sci Fi.

Understood.
I dove a vision with the old LCD display and upgraded my unit to the 2020.
And also once sone with MOD1 and put 50 hours on the unit I moved to a PLDT frame.

What I am saying is that you have 2 independent controller since the classic which had them in the pendants, when moved to vision the controllers went into the head and you had a single monochrome, now color, display with 3 buttons.

If the communication between the display/button unit is lost, the rebreather will mantain set point and display green on the head up display. Deviating more than .2 from setpoint you will get flashing green and flashing red if below .4 or above 1.6.

Fully agree that the move to the 2020 was overdue. The box is part of the character of the Inspiration (easily fixed).

Understood.
I dove a vision with the old LCD display and upgraded my unit to the 2020.
And also once sone with MOD1 and put 50 hours on the unit I moved to a PLDT frame.

What I am saying is that you have 2 independent controller since the classic which had them in the pendants, when moved to vision the controllers went into the head and you had a single monochrome, now color, display with 3 buttons.

If the communication between the display/button unit is lost, the rebreather will mantain set point and display green on the head up display. Deviating more than .2 from setpoint you will get flashing green and flashing red if below .4 or above 1.6.

Fully agree that the move to the 2020 was overdue. The box is part of the character of the Inspiration (easily fixed).

The box part bothers me. My day job involves designing and shipping product. It gets tested and we discover non obvious (at least to us, and we may be idiots) issues which we sort out before the product reaches customers. The product as a whole works. Sometimes the customers mess with them and then various assumptions break, or corner cases they don’t try come along. So I don’t want to be the person messing with a moderately complicated thing I just paid a lot of money for if I can buy one already made and TESTED that way.

Hey @Preach if you check here: Buy & Sell Rebreathers worldwide

There are two Inspo's up for sale near the top. Evo+ is from a dude named Alain Thomas in France, Classic is from a Niels Astrup Millard in Denmark. 3500 and 2350 Euros respectively +ship. I know nothing about them, don't know the guys, but they are two cheap options for Inspos.

Looks like the cheaper one needs a little work, but it comes with an Alubox and back lungs and a BOV. The Evo+ looks pretty standard, but I don't speak French so I don't know anything about it.

I would not buy a classic anymore, no support if it breaks. But ap had supported the units really long. With for example Meglodon, it was quit fast over. And a lot of ap unites still dive without problems over 10 years old. A good point is that you still can upgrade the first Visions.

complicated to build up and dive? No.

Looks like the cheaper one needs a little work, but it comes with an Alubox and back lungs and a BOV

Here is a thing, very often CCR people get involved with messing with their unit. For some people that seems to be part of the attraction, like owning a classic car.

Being a product person I of course think this is madness. These people may or may not be competent engineers (hands up all the people who consider themselves incompetent?) and almost certainly are doing inadequate testing of their modifications.

At EuroTek last year Martin Parker (Mr APD) gave a talk about accidents. One example was of two deaths a year apart of members of the same dive club. They had made the same apparently minor mod to the counter lung dump. This lead to a problem when the diver could not maintain the loop, exhausting gas and eventual death.

My point to the OP is to keep in mind that this kind of thing is widely regarded as normal. Even I have an aftermarket BOV.

Hey @Preach if you check here: Buy & Sell Rebreathers worldwide

There are two Inspo's up for sale near the top. Evo+ is from a dude named Alain Thomas in France, Classic is from a Niels Astrup Millard in Denmark. 3500 and 2350 Euros respectively +ship. I know nothing about them, don't know the guys, but they are two cheap options for Inspos.

Looks like the cheaper one needs a little work, but it comes with an Alubox and back lungs and a BOV. The Evo+ looks pretty standard, but I don't speak French so I don't know anything about it.

Thanks for the heads-up. Checking that (and more) groups on facebook regularly. I actually wanted to wait till the end of the year with buying one. But i found a 2014 model with new electronics and the latest vision updates (2020). The price is a bit steep tho, so don't know how it is gonne work out yet. I think i'm gonne take a look somewhere this week.

Back
Top Bottom