Reef-safe suncreen, non-stinging options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about a hat and a SPF rash guard instead of any sunscreen?

Reflection from the water is an issue. I try to cover up when I can and even use a Buff for my face but sometimes I really just need sunscreen because it isn’t practical for the time, place, situation.

a note on application for physical sunscreens. A little goes a very long way. You use way less. I find it best to apply it by dotting a little around a specific area then blending well then moving to the next area. Do small areas at a time and WAY less than you think you need. Like a small pea for each quadrant of your face is already generous.

I've been using Burnout Ocean Tested Physical, SPf30+ for a few years now and am settled on it...stays on long and the scent now reminds me of Bonaire mornings.

https://www.amazon.com/Physical-Sunscreen-Ocean-Tested-Ounce/dp/B000851N9E?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

As for the Badger stuff, my wife and I both used it for three days until we both developed a stinging rash and significant peeling on our faces and chest/shoulder areas after 3 days of use, so we threw it away.....rash went away after a day of using the Burnout.

Blue Lizard for Sensitive Skin (no stinging) when needed, but normally just use a polyolefin skin or rash guard to cover my body when not in a wetsuit, a lycra hood for my head and neck when in the water, and a floppy hat and sunglasses on the boat.

Blue Lizard for Sensitive Skin (no stinging) when needed, but normally just use a polyolefin skin or rash guard to cover my body when not in a wetsuit, a lycra hood for my head and neck when in the water, and a floppy hat and sunglasses on the boat.

+1 for Blue Lizard. Not all of their formulas are Reef Safe, but they are great. Tropic Sport is great, as well. Also, someone mentioned earlier not to get ANY sunscreen too close too your eyes, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Beyond all the reasons of saving the world which I’m also for. I’m a cancer survivor that really got lucky a few weeks longer before I was diagnosed and I’d be worm dirt. UV causes cancer there about to relable sun expos to radiation exposure won’t change our views but our next generation will be educated to the risks of sun exposure.

I no longer want to sport a tan. i am not on vacation get a tan. I were protection and spend a lot of time in the sun. When I return from a long tropical trip I may have a faint tan but it’s only faint. You have to buy the right gear and you have to wear it religiously. I wear a skull cap whenever I’m getting into the water and in the water put it on first and if I end up hanging at the surface for thirty minutes I’m good. I carry a few uv shirts one semi dress up a skin rash shirt for the dive that fits right then a long and baggy full face hooded one so they breathe. One of these shirts covers all but my eyes, my Guy Harvey is my favorite I do not wear sunscreen but you’d never know that. So you can learn to avoid the sun.
I also pre tan a few weeks before a dive which is better than burning in my opinion even with the negative side of tanning booths for health reasons.

Feet knees nose and ears only place I would ever consider sun block minimize its application with cover and your not going to have sunscreen burning your eyes or killing marine life.

I dive with a surf hat and no sunscreen: https://www.amazon.com/Dakine-Indo-...locphy=9011477&hvtargid=pla-679190672786&th=1

817x4pmTc3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I am scheduled to be in Cozumel about 1 month from now. I understand that if I use sunscreen, that it should be "Reef-safe" or biodegradable. The last time that I was in Cozumel, I had issues with my sunscreen causing my eyes to burn after a dive (this was not listed as a reef-safe product).
Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should buy prior to my trip?

Wear a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, and a Buff/gaiter that you can pull up over your face and nose. That's what I do. I don't wear sunscreen when diving because I hate putting it on and reapplying, and because it runs into my eyes. For my torso I wear a long-sleeved rashguard.

As others have said, Blue Lizard has reef-friendly sunscreen and it is great. I highly recommend.

I use think sport and have had nothing but good experiences. I have also tried sea 2 stream as I had samples and it worked good too. Think sport is typically more affordable. That being said I don’t apply on my face as I had tons of issues with fogging while using sun screen and was told by an instructor it’s because I applied it to my face. Stopped doing that and stopped having fogging issues

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom