Twenty-two minutes of humility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the advise for the ankle weights was to avoid another fin purchase since he knows I like my Mares. He was willing to loan me a pair of negative fins but the foot pockets were all too large on the pairs he has, even the ones for sale. It wasn’t as a solution for air trapping.

I want to try one more time without gaiters and more properly weighted. Then will wrap lower legs with ace bandages (i think it was Akimbo that suggested this option when I first started this process months ago) and see how my diving and trim differs. Then make/purchase gaiters if needed.

Might these work. I had these made to my specifications -I use them myself.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Lower-Leg-Weights-p/mllw.htm

MLLW-2T.jpg

I wear a women's size US 9/9.5 and I need XL fins to accommodate double socks and dry boots.
I wear a 6/6.5 and the fusion boots are not especially thick, infact they fit my small Mares better than my thick soled wet boots so will need at least a fin available in medium or possibly small.

I had a Fusion for a while and liked diving it, the trouble was I hated everything else about it. Ordinarily I wouldn't worry about something being awkward out of the water if it was better in the water but the Fusion was just beyond horrible for getting into and out of.

If you have a bubble in the suit that you consciously have to manage then you simply have too much air in your suit. This is exacerbated by the extreme flexibility of the Fusion suit. You need enough to take the squeeze off and that's it. Gas for buoyancy control needs to go in your wing/bcd. If you have too much in your wing/bcd then you are over weighted. Do a proper check with reserve gas only, no excess air in suit or BCD, and you should still be able to hold a safety stop.

Try shifting weight before adding any. Moving your cylinder up and down in the BCD will affect your trim. If you have integrated weights in a BCD and are foot light/head heavy, try moving your weights to a belt or vice versa.

Fins can make a big difference even with relatively small changes in weight because they are so far from your centre of gravity, and have a lever effect. Borrow a variety if you can and see if heavier/lighter fins make a difference.
I really wasn’t using much air. I couldn’t since I was very lightly weighted. Was just trying to stay warm so more thermal may help this too.

As for borrowing fins, not likely since negative fins not common in these parts, especially not in my size. Even the dive shop didn’t have a pair of rentals to fit nor on their selves.

I really wasn’t using much air. I couldn’t since I was very lightly weighted. Was just trying to stay warm so more thermal may help this too.

As for borrowing fins, not likely since negative fins not common in these parts, especially not in my size. Even the dive shop didn’t have a pair of rentals to fit nor on their selves.

Just give it some time. Get your spatial orientation control down in the new suit, get the amount and distribution of weight sorted out, and then focus on what pieces of your gear may need to be changed. Right now everything is an assumption and people are telling you to add/change/delete things based on their experience...not to say their experience is not valid, but it might not be the most appropriate change to make....you may find, that in the end, no changes in gear are necessary other than more time in the water getting used to the way the suit dives.

Good luck.

-Z

Three months later and I finally made it to the quarry for round two. It took just over 2 months to get the Mk2 undergarments then work, weather and covid conspired against me. I also picked up a used pair of twin jets to try, bought more weights and took advantage of a sale by Deep6 to get another din to dedicate to dry diving.

First let me say that I was very pleased with the Mk2 undergarment. Fit well, comfortable and made it easier to don the drysuit. Water temp was about 10 degrees warmer than January and the Mk2 plus the wool base was just about perfect. I had switched out my XS Scuba gloves for one size larger since they were very difficult to put on but now wished I hadn’t. Still a pita to don but fingers now too long and made me clumsy. I will have to take Zef’s advice for dry gloves if I continue with this adventure.

I added 7 lbs of weight and what a difference. Even with my Mares fin I did not feel foot light. No more skulling (or at least not much) and able to control my buoyancy. It probably also helped that I needed much less air in the suit to stay warm. I was possibly a bit overweighted so more adjustment needed but at least now I am on the right track.

On the second dive I tried the Twins. I think I like the fins but they do have a very different feel. Jury is out on that one.

But of course my planned California trip this fall looks unlikely. :( Very disappointing give the time and money Eric and I have put into this but still hopeful for another year. Will give me plenty of time for obviously much needed drysuit practice. :rolleyes:

Edit: On both dives when we got about 10 minutes into the dive Eric developed nausea. He has never had this problem before. Our tanks were filled at the same time so unlikely the fills. He thinks the neck seal may need trimming. Could this cause nausea?

Edit: On both dives when we got about 10 minutes into the dive Eric developed nausea. He has never had this problem before. Our tanks were filled at the same time so unlikely the fills. He thinks the neck seal may need trimming. Could this cause nausea?
I don't dive dry, but have worn a dry suit for overwater flying, and the neck seal being too tight can absolutely make me nauseous. I even cut a notch in my wetsuit neck due to that problem. With a dry suit, I expect he will have to trim (tiny amounts) until he finds a balance between good seal, and not get the too tight nausea.
Of course, my advise is worth what you paid for it!
Respectfully
James

Is this a neck seal that he has used before or a new one?

Might want to play with position on the neck. I'm new to drysuits, but I had to adjust mine to find the sweet spot.

ETA: neoprene, latex, or silicone? Mine happens to be silicone.

Is this a neck seal that he has used before or a new one?

Might want to play with position on the neck. I'm new to drysuits, but I had to adjust mine to find the sweet spot.

ETA: neoprene, latex, or silicone? Mine happens to be silicone.
Did our first dive in this seal but it was mostly hanging out around the platform. These dives we did a bit of exploration/swimming. Silicone seal.

Pulling my silicone seal down toward the base of the neck was much more comfortable for me. Much less of the "strangled" feeling.

I did a little googling and dizziness is one of the symptoms of Carotid
atherosclerosis, so nausea due to a restriction caused by a too-tight/poorly-placed seal would be a reasonable possibility.

Symptoms

Medical Considerations for Drysuit Divers

If you start looking at heavier fins again, I recommend checking out Mares Power Plana. A bit negative, comfortable foot pockets, bungee straps, and closer in design to your quattros.

Have fun in California when you make it there!

Lance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom