Reef-safe suncreen, non-stinging options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrothead600

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am scheduled to be in Cozumel about 1 month from now. I understand that if I use sunscreen, that it should be "Reef-safe" or biodegradable. The last time that I was in Cozumel, I had issues with my sunscreen causing my eyes to burn after a dive (this was not listed as a reef-safe product).
Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should buy prior to my trip?

I use Stream2Sea. It's reef-safe; can't say for sure if it stings, but I haven't had that issue with it personally and I have had it on occasion with other sunscreens.

Thirding Stream2Sea.
I burn faster than most people tan and have obtained hilarious sunburns during surface swims while diving because I hate the sunblock sting - that hasn't been an issue since I tried Stream 2 Sea. I do suggest the tinted face stuff unless you want to look like a ghost, and practice with application before you go out (it's a bit different than your standard banana boat type drug store stuff).
I usually use it for my face, neck, etc -my arms I cover with a long sleeve rash guard. It works well and even the smaller container lasts for quite awhile if you aren't covering your whole body.
I've never had it sting or cause problems, but you do have to rub it in really well and I keep sunscreens away from my eyes in general.

I also use Stream2Sea sunscreen (and shampoo), which are reef-safe. There is a face and body sunscreen or a mainly body sunscreen. With any titanium or zinc oxide products, you have to rub them in extremely well if you don't want it to look white and pasty.

Some sunscreens have nanoparticles so that they're not pasty (like the clear or tinted ones). They are approved by the FDA up to 25%, but there could be some health risks with nano particles, which are metal particles that can penetrate your skin. It might be best to avoid nano products, ex) titanium nano.

Be careful around the eye area, like with any sunscreen. If any sunscreen looks obvious or wet, it may smear into your eyes when wet. I haven't had any issues with it when diving, but I rub it in well and keep it away from the eyes. If you want to make sure, you can use a wet wipe or tissue to wipe around the eyes after the sunscreen has been absorbed, preferably at least 20 minutes.

I avoid the sting by wearing a head cover pulled down to top of mask. No more tears, no more burned forehead, no more burned hair part or scalp issues.

We use stream 2 sea and recently tried Raw Love out of Hawaii. I don’t use much sunscreen because I just use a 1piece and hood. I also go to the tanning salon and have a few sessions before hand. Helps with not burning. My wife has very very sensitive skin and she told me she prefers Raw Love over stream 2 sea.

I avoid the sting by wearing a head cover pulled down to top of mask. No more tears, no more burned forehead, no more burned hair part or scalp issues.
I'm increasingly becoming a fan of hats, sleeves, and other sun protection clothing. No wasteful plastic bottles, no TSA liquid limits to contend with, doesn't wash off or get in your eyes, doesn't kill the coral, never runs out.

Did a Google search on [Best reef safe sunscreen]. Read 3 different sites, about 20 different screens, almost no overlap. That gives me damn little confidence in the sites or any of their products. Maybe all commercial hit sites.
Have tried Badger Broad Spectrum 35 (Zinc Oxide). VERY thick. Hard to put on.
And All Good Sport Sunscreen 30. (Zinc Oxide). Much easier to put on, which means it tends to be used, not so much the Badger.

From what I've read you probably need both Zinc and Titanium for most effective broad spectrum.
You can get pure zinc oxide from the drugstore cheaply. No idea how well that would work, or last with water and sweat.

Back
Top Bottom