Understanding DS Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Helpful thread. I'll be a new drysuit diver in the Midwest quarries this summer. So, here's the question, in a membrane suit, when it is 80F on a summer day at the quarry, but 47F at depth, what do I wear under the drysuit?

Can't really answer your question, mines a neoprene suit. I just picked up a slightly used 100g undergarment specifically made for diving for $75 (originally $185). I was suggested to get anywhere between 100g-200g to go under. Hopefully I can put together a layer under that for local cold water.

Metalux® Undersuit (100g, 200g, 300g)

Just got back from REI looking at smartwool. Holy hell, $120 for 1 shirt...that's nuts. Their online prices are cheaper than in store. Hopefully they'll have a sale soon on winter items....

Wish it was that simple around here. 100+ surface and 50 at the bottom, thank you Arizona.
Anyway what we generally do around here is under dress for the bottom to avoid overheating at the surface. I don't know your dive profile, you didn't state that. But around here the cold is deep and you don't stay long. Or if you do it is a deco dive and even then you still have the same issue. Hanging out in warm water over dressed for it. So take the chill during the dive, warm up toward the surface. And try really hard to not overheat on top. If you are warm and toasty at the bottom, you are going to have issues. It only gets warmer as you go up. I have been known to dive with a hood and while hanging out in warmer water peel it off to stay cooler. You can often slide your arm through the hood to store it.

That's how I work it with a 7mm wetsuit. I usually don't wear gloves on the bottom, only stings for a few minutes, and then it's numb. Pull the hood off during the safety stop and then just play around @ 20' for a while...really enjoy the coming up into the bathwater feeling.

Last summer I had the o-ring on my tank blow out three times while being 100% suited up hood and all (7mm farmer john). It was 98f. The whole time I was imagining "this is what hell must feel like". Turns out my 1st stage had gotten some grit on the threads and wouldn't seal correct. Lived and learned that day for sure...

Costco often Carrie's merino tops and bottoms

@rob.mwpropane

Diving a Fourth Element Argonaut trilam suit, so different thermal needs but...

The Smartwool is pricey, but holds up well. I've been diving a set of 150gm and 250gm ("regular" stuff, not the new Interlock whatever that is) for 2 years with very little visible wear. I normally use the 150 as a base layer under my Fourth Element Xerotherm or Arctics. If I'm diving down into the 40s I'll bump up to the 250. I've also used the 250 on its own diving in the summer in NC or FL.

The merino wool works much better for me than synthetic undergarments (like Under Armour) that some folks use. The 150s dry very quickly and also resist getting funky on multi-day trips.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark

Costco often Carrie's merino tops and bottoms

Any idea on price? We have a local Costco

@rob.mwpropane

Diving a Fourth Element Argonaut trilam suit, so different thermal needs but...

The Smartwool is pricey, but holds up well. I've been diving a set of 150gm and 250gm ("regular" stuff, not the new Interlock whatever that is) for 2 years with very little visible wear. I normally use the 150 as a base layer under my Fourth Element Xerotherm or Arctics. If I'm diving down into the 40s I'll bump up to the 250. I've also used the 250 on its own diving in the summer in NC or FL.

The merino wool works much better for me than synthetic undergarments (like Under Armour) that some folks use. The 150s dry very quickly and also resist getting funky on multi-day trips.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark

I appreciate your 2 cents. The merino wool looks like the ticket, but I just can't see me spending that kind of money. Locally just the shirt was $120 for the 250gsm stuff....I'll keep looking for it though. I feel like "smartwool" is just the "under armor" of the wool world...hopefully I'll find a cheaper but comparable brand.

The merino wool looks like the ticket, but I just can't see me spending that kind of money. Locally just the shirt was $120 for the 250gsm stuff....I'll keep looking for it though. I feel like "smartwool" is just the "under armor" of the wool world...hopefully I'll find a cheaper but comparable brand.

Good merino is expensive material, and lesser known brands often still cost quite a lot. I use 80/20 merino/polyester undergarments sold by a local army surplus/military/outdoor store under their own brand. I use the 180 gr version as next to skin under a Santi400bz or weezle with a trilaminate suit. The added 20% of polyester makes it much more durable without compromising performance. I have owned Smartwools and other well known brands. Quality wise these at least as good. You should find something similar closer to you, but if you don't, the place I am using offers $9.99 flat rate shipping to the US...
Särmä TST L1 Long Sleeve Shirt, Merino Wool

Good merino is expensive material, and lesser known brands often still cost quite a lot. I use 80/20 merino/polyester undergarments sold by a local army surplus/military/outdoor store under their own brand. I use the 180 gr version as next to skin under a Santi400bz or weezle with a trilaminate suit. The added 20% of polyester makes it much more durable without compromising performance. I have owned Smartwools and other well known brands. Quality wise these at least as good. You should find something similar closer to you, but if you don't, the place I am using offers $9.99 flat rate shipping to the US...
Särmä TST L1 Long Sleeve Shirt, Merino Wool

Interesting. Thanks for the link. Much more economical. $120 vs $55 for the same "smartwool" shirt is crazy...

I'm a little torn between which to look to get. Seems they sell 180g and 250g. In my previous post I had mentioned I bought a 100g under suit. Still waiting to get it, I guess I should try diving with it by itself to see how cold I really get.

Or maybe it'd just be better to get the thicker of the 2 undershirts. Sucks not being able to try this part of diving before buying...

The REI store brand merino wool is really thin. There was a 30% off sale before Christmas. I should have picked up another top and bottom. I just have one Smart Wool top and bottom.

An online search of Canada Costco only pulls up a shirt at approx $28

But here's a site:

Men :: Merino clothing

Appreciate the link. The UK site is cheaper for thicker. I think $55 for 250g material. And $10 shipping.

I think my best bet is to get my 100g undersuit and try it on, maybe even dive it once and then pull the trigger on some wool...?

Does anyone here have any experience with this as a base layer?

Ultrawarmth base layers - BARE Wetsuits and Drysuits

I have a 150g SeaSkin thinsulate jumpsuit I want to give a boost to. I have thin merino wool undergarments I wear skiing, but as I said I am looking for a bit of a boost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom