Do You Watch YouTube Videos For Tech Tips or Other Info?

Who Do You Like Best?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They all have something to contribute. I lean towards ISE and GUE.tv for the most part since their views are somewhat close to mine.
I used to watch Alec’s sometime ago. I agree there is a bit bias. But oh well.

OP, not to be a jerk but I wish you would change your image. I miss @RJP and his marketing insight and contributions.

I have viewed several videos of skills demonstrations. Could have used those when taking the DM course 10 years ago.
I miss RJP too.

Sorry to be the Debbie Downer. . . (actually not). . .

There was a study done about people watching a YouTube demonstration of a task vs. some equally naive taking on the task. . . https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0956797617740646

Short answer, watching the video had a negative effect:

'The more that people watched others, the more they felt they could perform the same skill, too - even when their abilities hadn't actually changed for the better,' says Michael Kardas, a researcher at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business and author of the study published in the journal Psychological Science.

'Our findings suggest that merely watching others could cause people to attempt skills that they might not be ready or able to perform themselves,' he said.

I think (I know really) that some of the instructional videos on YT are helpful and can definitely impart a considerable amount of knowledge (or maybe it should be described as transferring information).

How to take apart the dash or the door of a car to fix some stupid 40 cent part, now become doable when you see the operation and know where the hidden clips and screws are.

Attempting to teach/learn something that requires a lot of skill is something quite different I'm sure. Downhill skiing looks extremely simple and graceful and relaxing, until you try it as a novice.

Overall, I think the advent of instructional videos has to be beneficial in many situations.

I watched Steve Martin's YT videos which led me to his PAID internet training site. His videos are pretty great.
I have to say though, my biggest diving benefit comes from all my local dive buddies being certified cave divers and they are extremely generous with their time helping. My learning curve, diving weekly with these folks for 2 years has been steep.

Sorry to be the Debbie Downer. . . (actually not). . .

There was a study done about people watching a YouTube demonstration of a task vs. some equally naive taking on the task. . . https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0956797617740646

@JohnN,, I agree that simply watching someone do something will not give you the experience necessary to perform the task yourself, but it will show you how you can practice a task to perform better and I find them quite informative as far as equipment use and deployment goes.

I watched Steve Martin's YT videos which led me to his PAID internet training site. His videos are pretty great.
I have to say though, my biggest diving benefit comes from all my local dive buddies being certified cave divers and they are extremely generous with their time helping. My learning curve, diving weekly with these folks for 2 years has been steep.

@Paul McCartney,, nothing beats experience~~! You're lucky to have some great dive buddies to learn from~~!

Well, it is probably useful to consider the context of the research cited in the reference, to provide context for the short answer.

An important point was that watching the videos - BY ITSELF - did not predictably lead to skill acquisition. That is not a particularly surprising outcome. The skill still has to be performed, and practiced, in order for actual competence to be developed. The cliche long used in medical education, and other disciplines as well - 'see one, do one, teach one' - appropriately includes 'do one'. Simply 'seeing one' is not enough to develop competence. In fact, it might, as the results of the paper indicate, lead to an inappropriately positive perception of skill - delusions of competence (or adequacy for that matter :)).

But, what You Tube (and other sources) videos do primarily, is help individuals get to the point of actually trying something, just as other forms of observational instruction do. The videos are both a substitute for those other forms of observational instruction, particularly where the instruction is not available 'live', as well as providing reinforcement for that 'live' observational instruction. However, as can be reasonably inferred from the results presented in the paper, they are not a substitute for actually performing, and repeatedly practicing, a skill, any more than 'live' observational instruction is.

Yes, the results cited in the paper described a 'negative effect', but the negative effect was not on long term skill development after practice (which wasn't assessed), but instead on the validity of initial self-assessment of skill after watching.

I usually watch Inner Space Explorers, however, I barely stand the attitude of the dude.
(which unfortunately, is a pretty common issue)

Alec Peirce's channel is great for newer divers. He does seem to have a bit of a bias against technical configurations and methodologies though, so I'd turn to GUE and ISE for anyone interested in more advanced diving, or recreational DIR practitioners.

As a new diver I wish I had a nickel for everything I learned from Alec. I don’t think Alec is biased against technical. I think he just doesn’t have that experience, which he freely admits.

Heck I’m a new REC diver and all of my bolt snaps are consistent with ISE instruction! Pretty much over kill but I enjoy learning new stuff that makes sense.

I also enjoy ISE and Lake Hickory.

Used to watch simply scuba but stopped for reasons I’ll not sidetrack onto......

Back
Top Bottom