Diving near Orlando?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoatingDave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK so I will be in Orlando (yes Disney) next May. Any suggestions for a one day dive excursion? I may need to escape :)

Should I go to Jupiter? What do people think? Is the Epcot dive ridiculous?

about 1-2 hours N there is fresh water diving; same to east and west for salt water.

OK so I will be in Orlando (yes Disney) next May. Any suggestions for a one day dive excursion? I may need to escape :)

Should I go to Jupiter? What do people think? Is the Epcot dive ridiculous?
If you should have the good fortune of ditching your family on a $5K dream vacation, then Jupiter/West Palm offers some great diving depending on what you want to see underwater. In Jup, the beginning of May is the "Bull Run" when hundreds of thick bull sharks are on the deep ledge. Have your camera completely powered up and ready to snap before you even giant stride because the first 15 feet is when they rush up from the depths to see what's dropped into the water. You'll get 1 or 2 quick close-up photos before they return to the bottom and then they'll stay just out of flash range and circle you.

West Palm is just 15 minutes more added to the 90 minute drive down the turnpike leaving at 6am. WPB's viz will be outstanding because the rains won't kick in til mid June. The shallow colorful reefs will be loaded up with turtles ready/returning for nesting and if you catch the sudden 5 degree warmup from 74 to 79 degrees the tropical fish will be in swarms on sites like Breakers and Flower Gardens.

With most boats back at the dock by 1:30 you can easily make it back to Disney by 4pm and ready to rejoin the family for dinner and fireworks at Epcot. Car rental deliveries and returns are handled at most major hotels so you can just meet the representative in the lobby. Full 'almost new' rental dive gear is available and ready for you right on the best dive boats.

Have a great vacation and start getting approvals now from the family since they will be jumping on "fast pass" reservation openings in just a few days when slots open. Once your booked for a fast pass, you're probably not getting out of it and your dreams of diving the incredible waters with sharks and turtles will be lived by reading other's dive reports on ScubaBoard.

The Epcot dive is a bucket list sort of dive. Fun to do a time or two if its convenient and since you'll be there, it'll be convenient. I've done it a couple of times and enjoyed the experience well enough. The backstage tour is interesting as well. If you can't get away for the day, this would be a good option... Plus your family can watch you in the aquarium.

With that said, diving in Jupiter is superior and is well worth the 2 hour (or so) drive, if you can take a day off. My personal favorite operator is Jupiter Dive Center

Excellent advice, Johnoly.

Have fun, Boating Dave. The number of sharks in Jupiter blows my mind. You’ll very likely see dozens during a routine boat dive.

With that said, diving in Jupiter is superior and is well worth the 2 hour (or so) drive, if you can take a day off. My personal favorite operator is Jupiter Dive Center

+1 - excellent service from start to finish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom