Locations for Diving in Philippines this February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's funny. Many people bash Panglao here, and it is definitely not on the "serious diver" map any longer. And yet, objectively, it still has much to recommend to divers, especially Baliscag. Clearly, one should not stay close or on the beach or the loud parties will be a real pain. I was specifically looking at Philippine Fun Divers, interestingly enough. I was going to go with Alona Divers, but something scared me off--I forgot what, but I'm sure it came from comments here. The Panglao airport is also now right next door nowadays.
I am not sure if it is still true there. Many operators are relying on one supplier for filling tank!
Compressed air is odourless.

I loved that dive report. I know that Centrals is going to yell at me, but I will be combining Cebu and PG. Here's the plan: fly directly to Cebu. Transfer to Moalboal. Four nights but only 3.5 diving days. Maybe two of those days at PescadorThen transfer across the narrow island to Argao Pier and get boat to Cabilao. Four nights. Then transfer the fairly short distance to Panglao/Alona, for three nights (staying away from beach to avoid most of the noise). Using Philippine Fun Divers, probably. At least one day at Baliscasag. Then a short flight to MNL and transfer to PG for five nights at .. drum roll ... El Galleon. Then fly out. I think. This actually seems to be a pretty efficient way of handling the locations. I think.

I am not sure if it is still true there. Many operators are relying on one supplier for filling tank!
Compressed air is odourless.
You may be confident that I will smell my air. Actually, I think I have a portable CO detector for diving, but I'm not sure where I put it.

I loved that dive report. I know that Centrals is going to yell at me, but I will be combining Cebu and PG. Here's the plan: fly directly to Cebu. Transfer to Moalboal. Four nights but only 3.5 diving days. Maybe two of those days at PescadorThen transfer across the narrow island to Argao Pier and get boat to Cabilao. Four nights. Then transfer the fairly short distance to Panglao/Alona, for three nights (staying away from beach to avoid most of the noise). Using Philippine Fun Divers, probably. At least one day at Baliscasag. Then a short flight to MNL and transfer to PG for five nights at .. drum roll ... El Galleon. Then fly out. I think. This actually seems to be a pretty efficient way of handling the locations. I think.
Cheers to you and I hope to see a trip report. :)
I am leaving in 2 days for a 2 week trip to Bonaire; but pretty close to pulling the trigger on a flight to the Philippines and a 2 week return there in April/May.

I know that Centrals is going to yell at me, but I will be combining Cebu and PG......
Why should I want to do that? Some people will change their plans because of a few negative comment. I respect your decision and good on you.
Ask your operator on Alona Beach who supplies their gas! Smell it! Your CO detector would be useless on OIL etc.
Have a nice one.

Well, all, guess what? Just before I left for Philippines via Hong Kong the President of the Philippines banned any travel through Hong Kong. I was going to stay in HK for a few nights to show my support, but there was no way to avoid that place at the last minute because my airline was Cathay Pacific (based in Hong Kong). So all of your advice and my efforts were for naught. Talk about disappointing!!

I have trip insurance, and, while I have never made a claim with this company, I hope and expect things will go smoothly. I've used it regularly.

However, my greatest disappointment is with El Galleon (PG) and Magic Island Resort (Moalboal), who rejected even a partial refund, even though this whole thing was finalized so recently and despite their excess capacity and their own president's declaration, irrationally, to prohibit transit through Hong Kong because of coronovirus. If anything, the Philippines was risky for me, as so many Filipinos work in mainland China, and the Philippines does not have the healthcare system of Hong Kong. Maybe I'm being irrational--I am willing to be challenged on this point--but these successful and well-known businesses seem motivated first to pocket the money. It's not like I took up a scarce berth in a dive boat, after all.

So, I will not be returning to the Philippines. Again, this might be irrational, but I expect a more generous response, even if it would have been a token refund. That two independent businesses did the same thing tells me this is not a place that deserves my money. I have been in Asia many times, and I think this kind of thing is not the norm (except in Vietnam).

Sorry for sounding bitter.

Why should I want to do that? Some people will change their plans because of a few negative comment. I respect your decision and good on you.
Ask your operator on Alona Beach who supplies their gas! Smell it! Your CO detector would be useless on OIL etc.
Have a nice one.
Thanks for that humorous and on-point reply. I have learned to smell my gas from past adventures!

Back
Top Bottom