Ideas for a month with a Villa. Flights to Bonaire too much :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please let us know where you choose to stay in Bali.
It's on my "radar".

All booked, we are flying from Toronto to manila direct, spending 3 nights in manila so we can recover from the flight then on to Bali. staying in the hyatt for 4 nights ( may get out to manta point) then going to spend 3 nights in Ubud to do all the intragram 'yawnworthy' stuff before moving on to a villa just outside pemuteran. There is a diveshop onsite and we will be there for 3 weeks. i plan to dive around the housereef mostly with around 10-15 trips out to manjangan island.

i'll send you a report....flights to bali were cheaper than flights to bonaire and the villa has a full staff with 2 x chef, security guard etc. it makes the bonaire villa look like a slum and is $120 bucks a night cheaper ..

diving will be more expensive, but it will all come out in the wash i suppose..

ill have to save my bonaire trips for Dec etc...

From the chill vibe I got in Pemuteran, and what a good value our guesthouse was, I can imagine your villa will be spectacular and relaxing. Glad you found something suitable.

Looks pretty good, the boss is happy as she can just float in the pool all day. And the kids and parents can just run around the villa... northern Bali divers are 2 mins walk down t he beach. But I’m not having much luck getting them to engage... apparently they ar decent. I like not having to drive anywhere to dive...

how was manjangan island?

Lamentably becoming a bit of a standard . When were you there? I have a friend who said it was really bad in fall 2018, but much better in fall 2019.

im expecting it to be bad and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

likely going to be more of a macro trip for me.

Lamentably becoming a bit of a standard . When were you there? I have a friend who said it was really bad in fall 2018, but much better in fall 2019.

im expecting it to be bad and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

likely going to be more of a macro trip for me.

I had to do a search for the threads in which I mentioned my trip, but it appears to have been 2016. We did sort of a “safari” around Bali. We much preferred Tulamben.

Hi All,
We are a bit late for decent Bali villas for an entire month, but i would be open to Philippines etc.

You’re not too late for Bali Villas. I lived in Indonesia for several years and nothing ever really sells out there. Also Bali is kind of overrun with Aussies and not as great as it use to be 10+ years ago. But having dived all over the world I keep finding myself going back to Indonesia (not Bali). I just love the diving, the people, culture, and things are sooooo cheap. if you have a 12K villa budget you could live like a king. I still spend several months a year diving in Indo and my housing budget is about USD $600-700 a month. For 12K you can usually rent a place for a year so 12k a month you should get a castle with a butler. In all seriousness for 12k you should actually be able to get a villa with a maid and cook and if not when you get to Indo ask the Villa and the can set you up with them.

If I had a month I would look at booking a villa in Lombok, Gili T, Manado area, Wakatobi, Labuan Bajo, Togian Islands, Waigeo/Sorong/Raja area, the list is endless. Just do some google research there is tons and tons of villas out there and info on Indonesia, Air B&B is also a good resource I use that a lot. I am a budget traveler and it sounds like you guys travel a bit different and have different accommodation standards so I have never used a travel agency be for but I see tons and tons of rich Aussies use them and it looks very convenient. They source really nice villas, organize your entire trip, airport, transportation, tours, diving, etc. maybe look into using one of them, sorry don’t have any recommendation as I have never used one. But really the diving in Indonesia is amazing!!! also in a month you could do two different diving destinations in Indo if you’re up for it. Since you have young children some of the more remote (but also national geographic/documentary dive destination) might be a little more difficult with kids. Maybe base yourself in a nice villa in Lombok, (Senggigi area is where all the posh stuff is) you can dive Lombok/Gili's, and explore the islands, waterfalls, world class surfing, volcano tour, etc. and you can get dirt cheap flights from Lombok to any other dive destination in Indo. Labuan Bajo is not as remote as others and the diving is mind blowing, maybe even do a quick 3-5 day liveabord out there, see the Komodo dragons, etc. I am just thinking that 1 month at a strictly diving destination might be a lot for your kids. Don’t get me wrong I’ve done 1 month of 2-3 dives a day no days off especially when I was trying to get my rebreather hours up but that’s not really a holiday it’s nice to just relax and take a break from diving and do some tourist stuff also.

Like I said do some google research, also check YouTube, now a days there are so many backpackers/travel bloggers making very good informative videos and websites about travel destinations I actually find them a lot more helpful than the old school Lonely Planet books.

Also there is nothing wrong with Philippines, or Thailand I have travel and dived them extensively too. I am just partial to Indo but what works for me and what I like might not work for you I think a lot of it is personal preference. Like me personally I am not a huge fan of the Caribbean, it’s nice but just not my style and to me the diving is just mehh and I think it gets the hype and ratting because of how close it is to America, I would much rather go cave diving in Tulum or Belize. I think if every Canadian and American (not bashing on them I am actually American I just live part time in Australia and Indonesia) that went to the Caribbean last year went to some other dive destinations in the world they probably would not be going back to the Caribbean.

Just to throw another option out there on the other side of the world is the Red Sea. It’s actually very easy to get to and if you fly Turkish Airlines you get 2 free checked bags per person if you say its diving gear. I am hesitant to list this one as a month destination with kids because it might get a little boring for them (I don’t have kids so I can’t compare) Literally all there is to do is diving, but I am throwing it out as an option because the diving is soooo good. I just love the red sea but it is huge and there is so much to see and so much area to cover. But at the same time if you stay up in the Dahab area most people don’t know this or even think about it but last time I was in Dahab I took a boat to Jordan and found a guy to drive me to the ancient city of Petra. It was incredible!! and can easily be done in 2 days a very nice diving brake when you burnt out from diving every day and if I was a kid I would love it. Also you can fly through Cairo and stop off and see the pyramids etc.

Thanks. I’m actually going back to Red Sea next weeks it’s an annual thing, but not with kids. We settled on a place just east of pemuteran.

Thanks for taking the tome to write that. Great info for me and those who come after :)

Thanks. I’m actually going back to Red Sea next weeks it’s an annual thing, but not with kids. We settled on a place just east of pemuteran.

Nice!! yeah you can't go wrong with the Red Sea.

Where is Pemuteran? If im not mistaken thats in NW Bali?? I have driven through it a couple time on the motorcycle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom