http://www.diveheart.org/

Lusitania dive accident - insufficient insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty
You turn up in a hospital in UK - you get treated. Full stop.

Afterwards you may get asked to pay. Depending on yr circumstances. K
You turn up in a hospital in UK - you get treated. Full stop.

Afterwards you may get asked to pay. Depending on yr circumstances. K

In the case of an emergency, it's pretty much the same in the US. You'll get treated but you will not not survive the billing trauma.

Well, as horrible as it was, it was not a diving accident.

How do you figure it's not a diving accident Don? He blew off buckets of deco so by any definition, that would meet the criteria of a dive accident.

Mrs. Stoo got hit by a flying human which shattered her leg a few years ago. It happened on a boat coming back from a dive site and DAN covered her flights home, and a nurse to accompany her with no fuss at all.

I couldn't find the original post about "a small part of our taxes", but assuming the poster was a Canadian, he's a little off. Health care represents about 11.6% of our GDP, and works out to an average of about $7000 per person. Everyone loves to joke about it, but it's a fantastic system. I am at the age where friends are getting cancers and so on, and the entire cost of the treatment is covered. What the plan won't cover necessarily is the "latest and possibly best" drugs and so on, but most people have supplemental insurance to cover much of the difference. In Ontario, there are additional plans that can kick in to cover those with need. For example, I had a new senior employee who was stricken with an odd form of leukemia. The treatment was extraordinarily expensive. Our plan covered the upgrade to get the bast treatment possible, but eventually, those costs were charged back to the company as additional premiums. Eventually, these would have caused my small business real hardship. It was actually better for him that we let him go because there is a lottery-funded Trillium fund which covers the additional cost of these drugs for people who show need. He no longer had to pay the co-pay which was hundreds of dollars a month.

How do you figure it's not a diving accident Don? He blew off buckets of deco so by any definition, that would meet the criteria of a dive accident.
I think Don meant the Conception accident.

I think Don meant the Conception accident.
Yep, indeed. I was posting to this remark, and I did quote it there, so I guess you missed that.
When people were posting all over social media about DAN apparently not covering the Conception liveaboard tragedy, they got ahead of the bad publicity and posted their own fundraiser.
Well, as horrible as it was, it was not a diving accident. Why would anyone expect Dive Insurance to cover. DAN is just the insurance agent.

Mrs. Stoo got hit by a flying human which shattered her leg a few years ago. It happened on a boat coming back from a dive site and DAN covered her flights home, and a nurse to accompany her with no fuss at all.
How horrible. I suppose this flying human was another passenger on the boat? I hope she recovered well.

That struck me as off as DAN dive insurance should not cover accidents on the boat aside from the $10K on non-diving coverage on some plans, but then it dawned on me. That was not her dive insurance coverage; it's a benefit of membership that covers non-diving emergencies as well. Whenever I quit diving, I am keeping my DAN membership just for that. DAN TravelAssist®
As a DAN Member, you automatically receive DAN TravelAssist and emergency medical evacuation coverage. This benefit is effective for both diving and nondiving medical emergencies. Emergency medical evacuation coverage begins when you travel on a trip at least 50 miles (80 km) from home and call the DAN Emergency Hotline (+1-919-684-9111) for assistance or evacuation.

Eventually, these would have caused my small business real hardship. It was actually better for him that we let him go because there is a lottery-funded Trillium fund which covers the additional cost of these drugs for people who show need. He no longer had to pay the co-pay which was hundreds of dollars a month.
That sounds cruel the way you put it. I hope that you mean that it was better for him?

Every time I think of this case, I question my contributing to his repatriation expenses. I pitied him and his fiance both, but damn it - he is the one who did not renew his insurance, even after her nagging. I nag my daughter about Trip Insurance needed anytime anyone leaves the country, which she resisted but fortunately took before traveling with my granddaughter to China, where my granddaughter got careless and lost her passport! Not as serious as his problem at all, but we were glad that their extra days and expenses were covered.

Y( obvs if you drive over someone then run off back to the US and claim Diplomatic Immunity... Thats another matter entirely )

This reflects a bad attitude about American government. Everyone knows what happens in English courts. No one wants their loved ones to be subjected to that.

I couldn't find the original post about "a small part of our taxes", but assuming the poster was a Canadian, he's a little off.

I believe @KenGordon mentioned Ireland and the UK.

This reflects a bad attitude about American government. Everyone knows what happens in English courts. No one wants their loved ones to be subjected to that.

Going off topic here, but can you please tell me what happens in English courts.

Yep, indeed. I was posting to this remark, and I did quote it there, so I guess you missed that.

How horrible. I suppose this flying human was another passenger on the boat? I hope she recovered well.

That struck me as off as DAN dive insurance should not cover accidents on the boat aside from the $10K on non-diving coverage on some plans, but then it dawned on me. That was not her dive insurance coverage; it's a benefit of membership that covers non-diving emergencies as well. Whenever I quit diving, I am keeping my DAN membership just for that. DAN TravelAssist®

That sounds cruel the way you put it. I hope that you mean that it was better for him?

Every time I think of this case, I question my contributing to his repatriation expenses. I pitied him and his fiance both, but damn it - he is the one who did not renew his insurance, even after her nagging. I nag my daughter about Trip Insurance needed anytime anyone leaves the country, which she resisted but fortunately took before traveling with my granddaughter to China, where my granddaughter got careless and lost her passport! Not as serious as his problem at all, but we were glad that their extra days and expenses were covered.

My apologies Don... I did miss that! :)

DAN insurance apparently covers you basically from the moment you get on to the boat, until you get off it again. I suppose from DAN's perspective, they may have looked at this as "value added" with minimal risk. Even with the Conception situation, I suspect that their exposure will be relatively small because (and I apologize for this sounding cold) the victims died. Apart from funeral costs and I suppose the victim's equipment loss, I don't think DAN insurance covers any sort of liability insurance. That will be up to the families to make a claim against the Conceptions insurer.

That was the case with my wife. We had driven to the east coast from Ontario, a 22 hour, 2 day drive. SHe had surgery in Gaspe, Quebec where a rod was put into her tibia, but there was no way she could drive home. DAN picked up the tab for three seats to get her home, plus the nurse, but transportation home from the airport. I suspect that was about $20,000 worth of stuff. But it was up to us to seek compensation from the boat operator who, in our opinion, was driving the boat in an unsafe manner.

And yes, in the case of my employee, it was best for him AND for our company. Unfortunately, he passed away in about 18 months or so, never having returned to work.

Back
Top Bottom