For Sale Official Freedom Plate List: Please respond here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eminently reasonable from every perspective. Can't wait to receive my much deliberated and often changed contour. Thank you, Eric for your effort, patience, and craft.

Basic s/s 10 GA plate $200
Aluminum wedge block $20
Stainless wedge block - don’t know yet.
Rail $75
Polish $50
on the thin stainless are you not offering polish because it is such a pain, or is the gauge creating an issue?

Basic s/s 10 GA plate $200
Aluminum wedge block $20
Stainless wedge block - don’t know yet.
Rail $75
Polish $50
Thanks! Questions:
  1. I saw references to "thin" vs "normal". Is that still an option?
  2. Are there any pics or links to pics of the wedge?
  3. I also didn't understand the discussion about use with a DGX wing that has roll control. Are the rails a good option for that wing or no?

Thanks! Questions:
  1. I saw references to "thin" vs "normal". Is that still an option?
  2. Are there any pics or links to pics of the wedge?
  3. I also didn't understand the discussion about use with a DGX wing that has roll control. Are the rails a good option for that wing or no?
Yes the standard is the 1/8” (10 GA) , and the thin will be either 14 or 16 GA (5/64” or 1/16”).
I do not have pricing on the thin ones yet because everything I made was hand made from rem sheets.
When I get the laser cutting costs and time the shaping process then I will know the price.
I’ll be making a few new stainless wedges this weekend and as soon as I have the materials cost and labor involved in making those I will post those new prices. I will also include the weight.
The wedges for this upcoming run of 10 GA plates will all be .120 stainless.
The new normal for the stainless plates will be the stainless wedges.
I’ll post a pic when I get one set up.
And no the rail is not a good option for the ‘new’ DGX wing (as closely as I can decipher from the pics online).
The rail is for wings that do not have top and bottom roll control cushions. All you need for the new DGX wing, the VDH wing, and the Oxycheq wing is a wedge.

Anti-roll bars on the wing and the wedge are for 2 different things.

The roll bars keep the tank from wobbling side to side.

The wedge (or a rail) creates some space between the bottom of the plate and the tank.

I have been meaning to order a wedge from Eric. I have been using the Freedom plate with no rail or wedge. When I'm in proper diving position (horizontal, back arched), the top of the tank nestles down between my shoulder blades (i.e. perfect). But, the bottom of the tank ends up basically resting on my butt, and that ends up holding the bottom of the plate out away from my lower back a little bit. The wedge should make enough space between the bottom of the plate and the tank for the plate to be up against my back - which is how it would be the most stable.

Unless you are a person with literally no butt at all, you probably want a wedge or a rail.

Just happen to be rigging a hogarthian harness on my (7 year old) Freedom plate today. Setting it up for drysuit diving. Apparently the wedge/rail offset is causing confusion for some, so I took some pictures without a wing to bolster your comments. Obviously diving a Contour plate with or without rails or a wedge is a personal preference and there are valid reasons for both scenarios. However, I prefer the additional space at the bottom and have grown accustomed to this configuration after diving this plate for nearly seven years. Call me paranoid, but I appreciate the tank valve being easily accessible due to the angled trajectory too. More importantly it gets that stupid plastic tank boot away from my arse when diving steel 100’s.

Edit: Please understand the plate pictured is over 7 years old and essentially a one-off. This plate is dramatically different compared to the current Contour model due to the numerous design enhancements and improvements Eric has incorporated over the years. I apologize for the confusion these pictures have created. No good deed goes unpunished.

4044F0AE-2765-4F3B-A91A-E8F5B0C3123A.jpeg

Attachments

• E3008B8E-62F4-46A1-8C9F-C45DAE49DB40.jpeg
    E3008B8E-62F4-46A1-8C9F-C45DAE49DB40.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 77
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom