Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The shrimp is dirt simple to overhaul. I bought mine used and not even being much of a reg person I did it myself in about 40mins (the first time ever). The second stage and the BOV knob - its really just a ball valve - are separate. All you really need is a blunt dental pick to remove the spiders and some allen wrenches. I don't find mine heavy but I also use it was a gag strap.

I am not a fan of all in one type stuff (eg BOV and MAVs combined) when a reg or a hose fails it ends up taking out multiple devices. So even if you go with the divesoft I would split the BOV from the MAVs - but that's just me.

Agree with that. I don’t see the positive of integrated mavs. Its just asking for issues and I dont see hitting a button on my face qs easier as my chest mounted mavs

@nung1009, I chose the shrimp over divesoft. i liked the bayonet-style connectors, and how you can adjust the position of it while it's affixed to the loop. Also, the heft of it appeals to me for some reason. it just feels very solid. I really wanted to like the divesoft but I didn't like the clamps they use to attach it to the loop.

(I imagine it all boils down to personal preference)

It really does. I've been told that the reg internals of the divesoft are better, but I think that's probably propoganda. I think they're both excellent choices either way. I would have prefered the bayonet attachment of the shrimp, but the divesoft really is a non-issue. It's still very easy to deal with. It would have been a closer competition if I didn't have personal issues with Golem's customer service. Either way I'm glad I got the divesoft.

The only other pro I've found to divesoft is their hud holders are nicer. I prefer their offset option

I chose the Shrimp because it's what I'm familiar with. I prefer the bayonet connectors on the Shrimp, but performance wise I would imagine they're pretty similar. Both are quality manufacture, although any Shrimp support I'd recommend going through SG and not Jakub.

Would love to hear the pros and cons of the shrimp bov and divesoft bov.

-What has your experience been like?
-What do you like or dislike about the bov you are currently using?
-Can it be user serviced? Are parts easy to find?

For the Divesoft, if you have the BOV + ADV version, I'd love to hear about the ADV as well.

-Is is sensitive to trigger the ADV?
-Is it hard to adjust?
-How is the maintenance?
-Easy to check valves, assemble and dissemble?

Thank you in advance!
Just resurrecting this, I have a shrimp on my JJ and I find that even with it resting on my chin the whole thing rides high and the BOV, collars and loop hose obscure my lower field of view in a way that a DSV doesn't. It's not making me unable to see or anything but it is noticeably different from the DSV and it makes it hard to e.g see the controller without moving the left arm quite a way up. I guess I might just have a weird shaped face but I was wondering if anyone else has found this? Is the divesoft any better from this point of view does anyone know?

I've put the DSV back on the JJ because of this. Not sure if the risk of an uncontrollable CO2 hit is bigger than the general extra task loading and stress that comes with not being able to see as well.

I have a few units with the IBOV/ADV/MAVs all in one combo.
I am a huge fan. I love the MAVs built onto the mouthpiece. As a predominantly dryglove user, dexterity is somewhat limited and hanging mavs can sometimes be difficult to find and manipulate. That doesn't apply if you are running a REVO block style MAV, that one is easy to locate and all buttons are in one place.
The ADV is sensitive out of the box, it is simple to adjust, a simple flathead screwdriver through the mouthpiece adjusts the cracking effort. You can also disable the ADV completely with a flip of the bailout selector. I have mine tuned very tight as I don't use it as a primary. I treat it as a parachute to add gas when things are going wrong and I can't access my MAV.
The reg breathes well, it uses Apeks internals. I have tested it to around 240' and it is a good breather.

Just resurrecting this, I have a shrimp on my JJ and I find that even with it resting on my chin the whole thing rides high and the BOV, collars and loop hose obscure my lower field of view in a way that a DSV doesn't. It's not making me unable to see or anything but it is noticeably different from the DSV and it makes it hard to e.g see the controller without moving the left arm quite a way up. I guess I might just have a weird shaped face but I was wondering if anyone else has found this? Is the divesoft any better from this point of view does anyone know?

I've put the DSV back on the JJ because of this. Not sure if the risk of an uncontrollable CO2 hit is bigger than the general extra task loading and stress that comes with not being able to see as well.
Move the hose weights to control where the loop wants to sit relative to your eyes/cheeks/face.

after using both:

Shrimp:
1. Love the bayonets.
2. Second stage is just junk parts IMHO - looks like needs servicing more often.
3. For scootering not the most comfortable.
4. Hits the nose part of my mask all the time - annoying on CCR.

Divesoft:
1. Expensive.
2. Easier WOB in OC mode on air - with enough helium no difference so for me no difference.
3. Doesn't hit the nose part of my mask - which is the only reason to choose this over the shrimp.
4. Same as shrimp in CC mode, and scootering.

Other words - if shrimp won't hit you on the nose all the time (lucky you) - go for shrimp (and stick something to it's bottom part for scootering).

Else (you're like me) - get a Divesoft.

Both are broadly available used - service and go diving - don't spend a ton of money on a new one IMHO (Especially the Divesoft which is just OVERPRICED no idea why 1k EUR for a new BOV - sorry Divesoft but no idea how you priced it so high).

Matan.

Does anyone have experience with or thoughts on the AP Diving OCB (Open Circuit Bailout Mouthpiece, I have no idea why they choose not to call it a BOV..) relative to Divesoft/Shrimp?
(My understanding is AP Diving is unfortunately theoretically pretty diligent about only selling parts to divers certified on their units, but I couldn't help but notice a brand new OCB in UK is currently only £619.23, and an online manual makes servicing look very straightforward along with it seemingly being a great design...)

Back
Top Bottom