Braided low pressure and high pressure regulator hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh. I thought I was buying a Deep6 regulator, not a DGX regulator.
You bought a deep 6 regulator that was built specifically for dgx and supplied by dgx. So the design is different than the normal deep 6 line which is sold by deep 6 themselves

You bought a deep 6 regulator that was built specifically for dgx and supplied by dgx. So the design is different than the normal deep 6 line which is sold by deep 6 themselves

That sucks.

I've tried braided hoses but I'm not a fan. Other folks have had much better luck, but the rubber covered hoses are better behaved in a long hose and don't irritate my neck or mess with my drysuit neck seal. Since I usually use a 5' long hose for warm water diving, I use rubber hoses there as well. The weight is a consideration for some folks, I guess, but I pack light otherwise. I have one or two braided high pressure hoses left on my rigs, but those will be gone in the next year or so.

From Dive Gear Express where I purchased mine

Dive Gear Express regulator flex hoses are constructed with an inner lining of High Syntactic Polyvinyl Chloride. HS-PVC is a member of the TPE family of plastics. The inner lining is reinforced with an inner sheath of braided fiber and an outer jacket of braided filament. External double-braiding better resists the snags and abrasions encountered in diving. Double braided hoses are much more flexible, a third lighter, UV & kink resistant and enormously stronger. All these hoses are Nitrox Ready.

I stand corrected. The point I was attempting to make was there is a “hose” under the braid. The braid is just abrasion protection for the inner “hose”.

I thought it was funny that someone wouldn’t trust a braided hose.

I mean if you perform a visual check of the equipment prior to diving what is the problem?

Glenn

@Glenn Williams - the issue that has been a problem with these hoses is the breakdown of the inner tube. Pieces have plugged regulators, and the failure mechanism is much more drastic than the typical progressive warning signs of rubber hose failure.

@Glenn Williams - the issue that has been a problem with these hoses is the breakdown of the inner tube. Pieces have plugged regulators, and the failure mechanism is much more drastic than the typical progressive warning signs of rubber hose failure.

True. I saw one on the bench in the shop the other week when I popped in.

Living where I do, and with the environment we have - we're high on the at risk list.

It takes no effort every so often to pull off your second stage for a look - a quick tap of the hose or even (if you can) passing air down the hose with no reg on.

The extreme failures don't just suddenly happen in theory you should notice your regs getting harder to breath, but I accept some divers aren't as in tune with their equipment as others

I swap all our hoses out every 2 - 3 years as a precaution. All my and my wife's regs have braided hoses - We probably have 30+ braided hoses in total and none have exhibited any indication of failure in the last 9 years

Rubber hoses have a similar "short" shelf life here too just because of heat and UV damage

But this is only my limited experience

I have a Sub Gravity braided long hose on my rec rig that has a tighter braid than others I have, has held up well, and doesn’t bother my neck and hasn’t damaged my neck seal but I’m usually in a hood also.

The braided hoses that came with my Apeks Sidemount set was very coarse and difficult to lay flat. I switched that out for a Myflex XT-Tech when they came out, which I’m not to thrilled about either. New hose is rubber.
I’ve had HP braided and rubber on this kit. Both wear out about the same. I’ll be ditching those for xmitters soon.

Doubles reg set was rubber to begin with and has stayed that way.

Deco/stage regs. One is rubber, the other braided.

I agree that braided float more on a long hose. On typical sets that is less of an issue.
Weight difference for travel is not a concern. I’ve never weighed the difference between a seven foot rubber and braided. If I needed to save that weigh difference I would leave a couple bolt snaps a home.

Back
Top Bottom